Weight loss with protein-rich diet linked to better sleep

By: IANS | New York | Published:March 28, 2016 10:20 am
Selection of protein sources in kitchen background The study found that while consuming a lower calorie diet with a higher amount of protein, sleep quality improves for middle-age adults. (Source: Thinkstock Images)

Overweight middle-aged adults losing weight with a protein-rich diet are more likely to sleep better, than those who are losing weight consuming a normal quantity of proteins, say a new study.

“Most research looks at the effects of sleep on diet and weight control, and our research flipped that question to ask what are the effects of weight loss and diet — specifically the amount of protein — on sleep,” said Wayne Campbell from Purdue University in the US.

“We found that while consuming a lower calorie diet with a higher amount of protein, sleep quality improves for middle-age adults. This sleep quality is better compared to those who lost the same amount of weight while consuming a normal amount of protein,” Campbell added in a paper published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The study analysed 44 overweight or obese participants who consumed either a normal-protein or a higher-protein weight loss diet. The participants completed a survey to rate the quality of their sleep every month throughout the study. The findings showed that those who consumed more protein while losing weight reported an improvement in sleep quality after three and four months of dietary intervention.

“Short sleep duration and compromised sleep quality frequently lead to metabolic and cardiovascular diseases and premature death,” said study’s first author Jing Zhou. “Given the high prevalence of sleep problems it’s important to know how changes to diet and lifestyle can help improve sleep,” Zhou stated.

“This research adds sleep quality to the growing list of positive outcomes of higher-protein intake while losing weight and those other outcomes include promoting body fat loss, retention of lean body mass and improvements in blood pressure,” Campbell said.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. C
    Carla Houston
    Mar 28, 2016 at 2:21 pm
    I had a friend turn me onto this wonderful amazing coffee.lt;br/gt;In 6 weeks I have lost 27 lbs. I have not changed the way I go about life.lt;br/gt;I do not endorse or promote anything unless I know it works!lt;br/gt;If you are struggling with weight and need some help, This works, and is all natural product, non gmo, gluten free andlt;br/gt;diabetic friendly.lt;br/gt;Are you looking to lose weight but have tried everything, me too. I was so frustrated with trying to lose weight until Ilt;br/gt;found this weight loss product. It is an easy as drinking a cup of coffee per day. No meal replacements, no exerciselt;br/gt;routines, and no changing your lifestyle. All natural products that will help you achieve your goals.lt;br/gt;
  2. L
    Linda Baumgartner
    Mar 30, 2016 at 7:51 am
    Great article! I can also recommend this article talking about the connection between sleep and eating bananas before bed... its quite interesting, and it really works too from personal experience!!
  3. J
    Jerry Dang
    Mar 28, 2016 at 5:37 pm
    Definitely a correlation between protein and sleep. When I was on the 3 week regime, and went from 190-150. I had an high protein intake and did notice that I would fall asleep much easier!
  4. J
    Jill Rogers
    Mar 28, 2016 at 12:58 pm
    Heyy,lt;br/gt;for the past few weeks I have been trying this new weight loss product 1 sawlt;br/gt;on Oprah and CNN. You should check this out too I have lost some weight already onlt;br/gt;it and 1 hear many others have too.lt;br/gt;
    Rochelle
    Mar 28, 2016 at 5:28 pm
    So everyone wants great sleep right? I'm comfortable saying that most of us at one point have struggled getting enough sleep in, enough good quality sleep. My husband and I were tired of doctors wanting push meds on us all the time to aid with the sleep issues. Well, I started looking into alternatives to help with other issues we were having and found the pink drink. While I swear by that, that isn't what I'm going for here. To help increase our protein intake, I found us the P96! I use it in a recipe to make these yummy chocolate "energy balls" for duel purpose! During the day my family has one or two to fuel our natural energy levels and at night we benefit from a sound sleep. We wake up ready for the day now! ;) Amazing what good health brings you! ;)
  6. I
    Irena Goldsman
    Mar 28, 2016 at 9:28 am
    Hey everyone. I used to have about 30 pounds overweight too, but now it's gone. So, I want to share my experience of how Ilt;br/gt;dealt with it.lt;br/gt;I'm a busy person, so I had no time to workout at the gym or hire a personal trainer... But I was so ashamed of mylt;br/gt;appearance... All my girlfriends were slim, except me. So I started to look for an alternative that could help me to droplt;br/gt;those 30 pounds. And guess what?lt;br/gt;I've found one weight loss program that not only guarantees to help you lose weight — it promises to help you lose more weight — all body fat — faster than anything else you’ve ever. This program didlt;br/gt;miracles... My pounds started to melt immediately after I started to follow the program! After two months I lost 32 poundslt;br/gt;I'm slim and in shape again. Most importantly those extra pounds are keeping off! I'm so happy!lt;br/gt;If you'd like to find out more about that program, I'm pasting a link below which leads to a review of it: