Ray of hope for HIV cure, courtesy new collaboration

Researchers are hopeful of a cure after treating the first patient with a promising new treatment that could kill all traces of the virus.

By: ANI | Washington | Published:October 4, 2016 5:59 pm
aiids, hiv, how to protect from hiv aiids, hiv, hoe to cure from hiv, hiv patients, indian express, indian express news CHERUB  is a new approach to HIV therapeutics in the UK, is the most significant attempt to find a cure for HIV in the country. (Source: Pixabay)

Looks like a ray of hope to cure HIV patients is here.

Researchers at National Institute for Health Research are hopeful of a cure after treating the first patient with a promising new treatment that could kill all traces of the virus.

A partnership sparked by NIHR is behind this collaborative UK effort for the new treatment, which is a first-of-its-kind.

Six years ago this month, a meeting took place between five leading UK research establishments which resulted in a shared commitment to find a cure for HIV.

A partnership sparked by the National Office for Clinical Research Infrastructure (NOCRI), part of the NIHR, identified in that meeting that while there is research into treatment of HIV, as there is for many chronic conditions, there was no research into eradication of the disease.

Each of the British research institutions present Oxford University, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, King’s College London and University College London agreed that they could provide a part of the jigsaw needed to find the cure, but could not achieve this in isolation.

Managing Director of NOCRI Mark Samuels said, “This was a meeting of some of the UK’s top medical research leaders and it was a privilege to encourage joining forces.”

“We understand the power in brokering crucial relationships to pioneer health breakthroughs, and this meeting was a prime example of that,” he continued. “Together, we identified a research need which could only be achieved by creating a collaboration between these leading establishments.”

“The competitive nature of the relationship between Oxford and Cambridge, spanning 800 years, is widely known, but there is also competition running across all these leading universities, particularly in terms of vying for research funding,” he added.

Samuels further said, “Yet here was an opportunity to put that competition aside, and collaborate on a global health challenge. As a result, the Medical Research Council awarded one of the first joint grants to these five leading biomedical research institutions.”

“And in return each research centre provides its expertise to complete the jigsaw needed to find a cure for HIV- from patients, to the right doctors, the right diagnostic technology, the mathematician to analyse results and so on. CHERUB was born.”

CHERUB (Collaborative HIV Eradication of viral Reservoirs: UK BRC) is a new approach to HIV therapeutics in the UK.

It is one of the first co-operatives of UK Biomedical Research Centres to engage internationally in one of the most exciting new fields of biomedical research, that of HIV cure.

CHERUB brings together, amongst others, clinicians, virologists, immunologists, molecular biologists and mathematical modellers under the umbrella of the NIHR.

Over 30 medical researchers attended a kick-off meeting, and it was acknowledged that so many world-leaders in the field had never been in one room together, even on the conference circuit.

This collaboration is the most significant attempt to find a cure for HIV in the UK.

And in the six years since, great progress has been made. The ‘Kick and Kill’ study will recruit 50 HIV study participants, in which researchers activate HIV infected cells which are ‘asleep’.

By waking them and treating them with an HDAC inhibitor drug, the body’s own immune system is encouraged to fight the disease.

See what else is making news.

HIV is a virus infection that is treatable using Antiretroviral Therapy (ART). ART works by stopping HIV from copying itself and spreading. ART reduces the amount of virus in the blood stream to such low levels that it prevents the virus from being passed on to others, and gives the body’s immune system a chance to recover.

But ART alone cannot cure HIV. This is because it only works on HIV infected cells that are active, and most cells infected with HIV in the human body contain resting or sleeping virus. These cells represent an invisible reservoir of HIV, and are one of the reasons it is so difficult to cure the infection. If ART is stopped, usually the virus returns.

There is a strong interest amongst people living with HIV, as well as researchers, to look at different ways that could help to cure HIV and allow people to remain healthy without needing lifelong medication.

Sarah Fidler, the co-Principal Investigator on the study, said, “This first participant has now completed the intervention and we have found it to be safe and well tolerated. Only when all 50 study participants have completed the whole study, by 2018, will we be able to tell if there has been an effect on curing HIV. Professor John Frater’s lab in Oxford will lead on the tests and assays to determine if the trial has had an effect.”

Professor Jonathan Weber, Chair of CHERUB Scientific Steering Committee and Director of Research for the Faculty of Medicine at Imperial College London, said, “CHERUB has made great progress since it was born six years ago. We are now actively recruiting patients to test the ‘Kick and Kill’ theory.”

“NOCRI was instrumental to this research starting. We are all thoroughly committed to finding a cure for HIV, but if the collaboration between this set of HIV researchers had not been prompted at that meeting six years ago, this simply would not have happened,” Weber added.

The NIHR Office for Clinical Research Infrastructure (NOCRI) brings world-leading investigators, scientific industries and research facilities together, acting as a catalyst to make vital research happen.

By brokering crucial relationships, NOCRI helps deliver pioneering health breakthroughs, bringing drugs, devices and diagnostics to patients faster.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

mia
    Jun 29, 2017 at 1:14 am
    Yes, doctor Oba Martins is really good and kind, he has also cured my sister from herpes... you can as well contact him on this number via whatsapp 2348054090947
  2. O
    Oba
    Jun 28, 2017 at 9:43 pm
    The cure you need is here now!! Have you been suffering from Cancer? OR you need cure for your herpes diseases and you have been treating it and it refuse to heal and cure? worry no more!!! as Dr OBA MARTINS is here to remedy all your sickness and make you heal withing 7 days.. contact Dr OBA MARTINS at oba.martins.cure doctor WHATSAPP now on ( 234) 8054090947. contact Dr OBA MARTINS now on (oba.martins.cure doctor ) so that he can cure you from your diseases and pain that you may have been through!! DR OBA MARTINS, also cure all kinds of infection and disease such as: 1. HERPES VIRUS 2. LASSA FEVER 3. GONORRHEA 4. HIV/AIDS 5. LOW SPERM COUNT 6. MENOPAUSE DISEASE 7. EPILEPSY 8. Hypertension 9. CANCER 10. Kidney problems 11. PREGNANCY PROBLEM 12. SHORT SIGHTEDNESS PROBLEM 14. Male menopause 15. Menopause – male 16. Menopause – peri 17. Menstruation problems 18. Mercury Poisoning 19. Migraine 20. Miscarriage 21. Stroke 22. ALS
  3. J
    joyjames
    Jun 22, 2017 at 9:04 pm
    Am really happy that i and my husband are cured of (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of Dr Gozie , i have been suffering from this disease for the past 3 years without solution until i came across his email of this doctor who have cure so many people with hiAs herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me and my husband, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follows his instruction for use and he ask us to go for a check up after 3 weeks and which i did, to my greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that there is someone like this DR Gozie who is ready to help anytime any day. to all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting it and contact this Dr and see if he will not actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me .contact him now if you
    alex jenny
    Jun 22, 2017 at 12:39 am
    i never thought i would be HIV negative again after been diagnosed in 2015, i have tried everything possible in life from one doctor to another, one hospital to another, series of tests, different kinds of medication, i had already lost hope until i meet Great Dr. OSAGIE online testimonies, a specialist in herbal medication from Africa, i contacted him (drosagiesolutiontemple OR DROSAGIESOULTIONTEMPLE YAHOO ) and he prepared HIV herbal medication for me which i took for 7days and now i am completely cured. i want to use this medium to express my gra ude to him for saving my life and curing me from HIV, for taking away all my pains and sorrows, I''m indeed grateful and i am so happy I''m now HIV negative. i will continue to tell the good news of your great works to everyone, if you have HIV or other disease contact him, Email: his email: (drosagiesolutiontemple OR DROSAGIESOULTIONTEMPLE YAHOO .wixsite.drosagiesolutionte.wixsite /solution ....
  5. G
    Gina darling
    Jun 20, 2017 at 8:19 pm
    If you are looking for cure for HIV/AIDS cure and all others diseases i we advised you to kindly contact Dr Idahosa for help via dridahosasolutioncenter or call him on 2348134261542 he is a nice Dr thank you...
    Stella Marris
    Jun 19, 2017 at 4:01 am
    Hello everyone here in this forum i am so glad that i have this great opportunity to come out here and share my testimony on how Dr idahosa was able to cure me totally from Hiv disease, i have been suffering from this Disease for approximately 4 Years now, i have tried various ways to get rid of this Virus out of my body, i have also purchase for Medical treatment from my doctor but they all failed, sometime back now while i was browsing the Internet i found some good quote concerning Dr idahosa Herbal Medicine, and how he has been using it to save souls from Different Disease including Cancer, someone also said she was been cured of Hiv from his medicine, and they gave out his contact details in case anyone needs his help, i decided to contact Dr idahosa and i told him about my Hiv illness he told me not to worry that he was going to send me his herbal medicine all i was to do is to send him my personal details and also my home address so he can post the Medicine to me, actually i did
  7. F
    felicia palmer
    Jun 17, 2017 at 6:38 am
    Hi everyone, I am Felicity Palmer, from Delaware,USA. I am publicizing this amazing testimonial of my life on this forum because i knew of so many people who will still be having this same issues, which you are finding so difficult to solve. I have been suffering from HIV for the past 2 years.I have visited doctors but they couldn't get the permanent solution to my sickness. I almost loosed it until one faithful day when i saw so many amazing testimonials about Dr. Arpoka, on how he has cured patients infected with HIV. So i decided to give it a try and contact him, here i am now. All thanks to Dr. Arpoka for curing my HIV permanently. Now i am perfectly fine, and i am HIV negative. you too can get cured today by contacting his email address via: dr.arpokaspritualtemple
  8. F