Nano-engineered oil droplets can be used to target infectious diseases and provoke specific immune responses to deal with side-effects of broad-spectrum treatments such as chemotherapy, according to a new research.
The researchers at the University of Queensland said the droplets called nanoemulsions can effectively target diseased cells and provoke specific immune responses.The nanoemulsions carry antibodies and protein and can generate an immune response against infectious diseases such as influenza, HIV and malaria.
A paper on the development has been published in the international journal SMALL. Researcher Frank Sainbury said the journal paper provided proof of the precise targeting that could be achieved by nanoemulsions.
He said it addressed challenges with existing targeted therapies, such as limited drug-carrying capacity and difficulty of manufacture. An ability to target specific cells gives the emulsion the potential to overcome side-effects of broad-spectrum treatments such as chemotherapy, which attacks healthy cells as well as cancerous ones. The nanoemulsion could hold antibodies, releasing them only when targeted cells were found, Sainbury said. “This is about efficient targeting,” he said adding, “Nanoemulsions have a long, safe history in pharmaceutical formulations.”
The research is a collaboration between Anton Middelberg’s Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology research group, UQ’s Diamantina Institute,The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research and Burnet Institute’s Centre for Immunology.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More