Meditation and continuous practise of ballet dancing is likely to improve wisdom, according to research.
Meditation and somatic practices such as classical ballet might lead to increased wisdom. The results of the study showed that those who practised meditation, vipassana (29 per cent), mindfulness (23 per cent), had more wisdom than those who did not.
Also, meditation can act as a stress-buster or pain-reliever as well as help in reducing anxiety. “The link between ballet and wisdom is mysterious to us and something that we’re already investigating further,” said lead author Patrick B. Williams, postdoctoral researcher at the University of Chicago in US.
Participants who practised ballet had the lowest levels of wisdom. Nevertheless, the more they practised ballet, the higher they scored on measures of psychological traits that are associated with wisdom, the researcher explained in the study published in PLOS ONE. “That meditation is associated with wisdom is good to confirm, but the finding that the practice of ballet is associated with increased wisdom is fascinating,” noted Monika Ardelt, a leading wisdom researcher who was not involved in the project.
The researchers administered a self-reported survey to 298 participants using Survey Monkey, a popular Internet-based tool that is increasingly being used to conduct scientific surveys and studies. The survey asked about the experience (both in number of years and hours of practice) of teachers and students of meditation, the Alexander Technique (a method for improving posture, balance, coordination, and movement), the Feldenkrais Method (a form of somatic education that seeks to improve movement and physical function, reduce pain, and increase self-awareness), and classical ballet.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
It also included psychological questionnaires that asked about characteristics thought to be components of wisdom, such as empathy and anxiety.