Married twins? Couple struggling to make baby discover they’re twins!

The doctor consulted the patient's files and noted that both had the exact same birth dates listed in 1984.

By: PTI | Washington | Published:April 16, 2017 4:00 pm
twins, married us couple twins, married couple unable to conceive, married us couple, married couple baby, married couple unable to give birth, birth, us couple, doctor said twins, adopted married couple, indian express, indian express news Fraternal twins! (Representational Image | Source: Thinkstock Images)

A married couple in the US shockingly discovered that they were biological twins after getting a routine DNA test done at an IVF clinic because they were struggling to conceive naturally. The couple, who met in college, had attended the clinic in Mississippi in the hope that it help them have their own child.

ALSO READ | This eight-month-old baby girl from Punjab who weighs more than 17 kgs has doctors worried

A doctor at the clinic in Jackson, Mississippi, revealed the astonishing events and explained how the situation had come about.

“It’s just a routine thing and we wouldn’t normally check to see if there was a relationship between the two samples, but in this case the lab assistant involved was shocked by the similarity of each profile,” the doctor told the Mississippi Herald.

“My first reaction was that they must have been less-closely related; perhaps they were first cousins, which happens sometimes. However, looking closer at samples, I noticed there were way too many similarities,” said the doctor, who was not named by the daily.

The doctor consulted the patient’s files and noted that both had the exact same birth dates listed in 1984.

“With this in mind, I was convinced that both patients were fraternal twins,” he said.

However, the doctor did not know if the couple were already aware of this or totally oblivious. When he brought up the issue at their next appointment, the doctor said they initially “burst out laughing” in disbelief.

“The husband said that a lot of people remarked on the fact they shared the same birthdays and looked similar to each other, but he said it was just a funny coincidence and that the couple were definitely not related,” the doctor said.

“The wife kept pleading with me to admit I was joking, and I wish that I was, but they had to know the truth,” the medic said.

After talking it through with the man and woman, the doctor was able to establish how this had all happened. The couple had met during college and instantly hit it off. “The fact they’d both been adopted, after their parents had died, meant they’d both experienced a similar childhood, and they felt they could really connect with each other,” the doctor said.

After processing the facts, it emerged that their biological parents had died in a car crash when the couple were infants.

With no family willing to adopt them, they were put into the care of the state and adopted out into separate families. But neither of their new families were told that the child had a twin.

“I really hope they can work something out. For me, it’s a particularly unusual case because my job is all about helping couples conceive a child. This is the first time in my career that I’ve been glad I haven’t succeeded in that regard,” the doctor said.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. J
    jessica randall
    Aug 4, 2017 at 6:53 pm
    i want to use this opportunity to thanks dr fara for helping me with his root and herbs I was barring for 11 years and my husband hardly talk to me because i was unable to conceive and my mother-in law was not even talking to me all she was saying is that my husband should divorce me and marry another woman, so i keep on praying ,one faithful day i was searching through the internet for a solution i saw a lot of testimony about dr fara on how he help people to get pregnant with his natural herbs i just say let me contact him and explain my problem to him and he help me with is natural root and herbs that make me get pregnant, i make love with my husband and after 1 month a great miracle fell on me and i was tested positive that i am now pregnant, I am very happy now, i am going to have my own baby, if you also need a help please don't fail to contact his email address: drfaraspelltemple or call him also add him on whatsapp 2348054265852
      Michael
      Apr 17, 2017 at 2:44 am
      This is fake news - the Mississippi herald is not a real news source.
      1. T
        Thomas Law
        Apr 16, 2017 at 9:48 pm
        You guys know this story has been reported as FAKE NEWS,.. RIGHT? From a fake news website called Mississipi Herald.
        1. H
          Hal
          Apr 16, 2017 at 9:28 pm
          FAKE news.
            Matoo
            Apr 16, 2017 at 9:23 pm
            FAKE NEWS.
              spencer
              Apr 16, 2017 at 9:20 pm
              Of course it is fake. You can't tell if people are fraternal twins from their DNA. If you had the couple's parents DNA at the same time you could say siblings, if you would only had the couple themselves you could only say relation.
                Dave G. Howell
                Apr 16, 2017 at 9:53 pm
                Your right. except you can tell that they are brother and sister and the fact that they are exactly the same age would mean that they must be twins.
              2. E
                Eric Stirling
                Apr 16, 2017 at 9:13 pm
                Ok. This is fake news, but this site is probably fake too. Great journalism!!!!
                  Daniel
                  Apr 16, 2017 at 8:54 pm
                  You are going to be embarr ed but this was uncovered as fake news yesterday.