Today is International Yoga Day and right from the Prime Minister Narendra Modi to India’s common citizens, yoga seems to be the buzz word. Of course these days, in India for many people, Baba Ramdev is synonymous with reviving yoga and there are many who attend his camps and watch his show.
However before Baba Ramdev took to our screens to teach us yoga, guru Dhirendra Brahmachari in the 1970s had promoted Yoga on Doordarshan. His show was a weekly one on DD and he had also introduced yoga as a subject in Kendriya Vidyalayas.
- 'Iran's new missile can reach Israel,' says Donald Trump
- Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal team up, extend Europe's lead in Laver Cup
- PM Modi to inaugurate ONGC's new building on Monday
- Former home secretary Rajiv Mehrishi to be next CAG
- Inside Samantha Ruth Prabhu's bachelorette party before she ties the knot with Naga Chaitanya
- Caroline Wozniacki powers to Pan Pacific Open title in Tokyo
Brahmachari, who was the yoga mentor of late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, had ashrams in Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir. The current Moraji Desai National Institute of Yoga was earlier owned by him. Brahmachari died in 1994 in a plane crash.
His first work on Yoga was published in 1956 and was called ‘Yogic Sukshma Vyayam.’ Watch a video below from the 1970s which shows him teaching the Sukshma Vyayam . (App users click here for video)