British scientists on verge of HIV cure: Report

The new trial is being backed by the UK's state-funded National Health Service because it could save millions by removing the need to treat HIV patients with ART.

By: PTI | London | Published:October 2, 2016 7:46 pm
hiv, aids, hiv aids, hiv positive, hiv research, hiv infection, aids research, aids study, china research If the new treatment trial is successful, it offers hope of an irreversible cure for HIV and could save millions of pounds spent on drugs. (Source: File)

British scientists are on the verge of confirming a treatment for HIV, an incurable virus that leads to deadly AIDS disease, if a new treatment trial proves successful, a media report claimed on Sunday.

A British man with HIV hopes to become the first in the world to be cured of the disease by using the pioneering new therapy designed to eradicate the virus, ‘The Sunday Times’ reported.

Watch what else is making news

The 44-year-old is the first of 50 people to complete a trial of the ambitious treatment, designed by scientists and doctors from five of Britain’s leading universities – universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College London, University College London and King’s College London.

It is the first therapy created to track down and destroy HIV in every part of the body — including in the dormant cells that evade current treatments.

If successful, it offers hope of an irreversible cure for HIV and could save millions of pounds spent on drugs.

Early tests show the virus is undetectable in the man’s blood.

But he will have to wait some months before confirmation on whether the treatment has perma­nently cleared the disease.

It is possible that the absence of the virus could be down to the conventional drugs that he has also been taking which can temporarily clear the body of the disease.

Mark Samuels, managing director of the National Institute for Health Research Office for Clinical Research Infra­structure, which set up the medical consortium, told the newspaper: “This is one of the first serious attempts at a full cure for HIV. We are exploring the real possibility of curing HIV. This is a huge challenge and it’s still early days but the progress has been remarkable.”

The HIV virus is mostly transmitted by sex. Once in the body it targets T-cells, part of the immune system, splicing itself into their DNA. If the T-cell is active the HIV hijacks it, turning it into a tiny factory spewing millions more viruses to infect other T-cells.

It is this aspect of HIV activity that is targeted and suppressed by anti-retroviral therapies (ART). What ART cannot do is pick out the millions of infected T-cells lying dormant around the body — but waiting to spring into life should ART fail. It is the HIV reservoir in these dormant cells that the research group is targeting.

“It would be great if a cure has happened. My last blood test was a couple of weeks ago and there is no detectable virus. However, that could be the anti-retroviral therapies, so we have to wait to be sure,” the London-based patient said.

The new trial is being backed by the UK’s state-funded National Health Service (NHS) because it could save millions by removing the need to treat HIV patients with ART, which costs around 380,000 pounds per person over their lifetime.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. B
    better waycompany
    Jul 21, 2017 at 4:13 pm
    Hello My name is Valencia Gray from the USA/Florida I am here to give my testimony about a herbalist doctor who helped me in my life.I was infected with HERPES VIRUS in 2015, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution,i keep on spending money just to make sure i am okay but to know all was nothing so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem,she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES VIRUS and gave me his email, so i Email him. He told me all the things I need to do that it going to prepare some medication to me and also give me instructions to take it, which I followed properly. Before I knew what was happening, after 14 DAYS, the HERPES VIRUS that was in my body DISAPPEARED.:whatsapp 2348118829618
      Ryan carroll
      Jul 12, 2017 at 7:55 am
      I’m Ryan Carroll, I contracted HIV in 2012, I was told by my medical doctor that there’s no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my Arv's, My CD4 is 77 and viral load is 112,450. I saw a of Dr. Oba, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV and other deadly diseases. I contacted him and told him my problems, He prepared and sent me the herbal medicine and I took it for 14 days after then I went for medical check-up and I was cured. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there’s no special diet when taking the medicine. You can reach him on dr.obaherbalhome hotmail or drobaherbs.webs .. You can WhatsApp him on 2348151943640 or contact me (carollryan07 )
        Pooja Asheesh
        Jul 9, 2017 at 3:53 pm
        Dr Harrison Can cure the HIV/AIDs, He cured me of HIV that has been in my system for almost Five years! I also believe there is nothing relating to problem or sickness,he would be able to do same with his Spell Powers and solve your Problems! Contact him on his Mail:-J.HARRISONSPELLHOMES
          Pooja Asheesh
          Jul 9, 2017 at 3:37 pm
          Contact Dr Harrison on this Email:-J.HARRISONSPELLHOMES He cured me from my Predicament HIV/AIDs in my system for over 5 years! But today I'm Negative again! I believe he could cure any type of problem that is a burden to US,with his Spell Powers! Regards, A.P
            Pooja Asheesh
            Jul 9, 2017 at 3:32 pm
            Dr Harrison can cure HIV/AIDs
              Adrian Fourie
              Jul 1, 2017 at 4:31 pm
              You need to attack the virus in the bloodstream itself. I have come up with a method to do this, the use of an intra-artery stent that irradiates passing blood cells with ultraviolet light via an optic tube. I estimate a 4-6 week cure. : luckydays.tv/theory_for_a_possible_pointer_to_the_cure_for_aids
              1. N
                Naomi Judd
                Jun 28, 2017 at 2:44 am
                It’s obvious some patient with HIV are been enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 12 years until I was introduce by a blogger who also narrated Her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Doc Native Cure . This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from HIV. All thanks to God for using this Great and sincere herbalist to heal me. I have promise to keep telling good about him. Please fill free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on whatsapp or mail on 2348077544690 professoroseamuyi yahoo handout at Native Cure.
                  kezed aihebhoria
                  Jun 26, 2017 at 11:20 pm
                  God bless Dr onobun for curing my HIV with his healing spell, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will for ever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr onobun to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my two kids and my husband after the medical doctor have confirmed my HIV status Negative,i have never in my life believed that HIV could be cured by Dr onobun healing spell. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr onobun that all hope is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email (dr.onobunherbalcure Whatsapp number is 2349075456814