British scientists on verge of HIV cure: Report

The new trial is being backed by the UK's state-funded National Health Service because it could save millions by removing the need to treat HIV patients with ART.

By: PTI | London | Published:October 2, 2016 7:46 pm
hiv, aids, hiv aids, hiv positive, hiv research, hiv infection, aids research, aids study, china research If the new treatment trial is successful, it offers hope of an irreversible cure for HIV and could save millions of pounds spent on drugs. (Source: File)

British scientists are on the verge of confirming a treatment for HIV, an incurable virus that leads to deadly AIDS disease, if a new treatment trial proves successful, a media report claimed on Sunday.

A British man with HIV hopes to become the first in the world to be cured of the disease by using the pioneering new therapy designed to eradicate the virus, ‘The Sunday Times’ reported.

Watch what else is making news

The 44-year-old is the first of 50 people to complete a trial of the ambitious treatment, designed by scientists and doctors from five of Britain’s leading universities – universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College London, University College London and King’s College London.

It is the first therapy created to track down and destroy HIV in every part of the body — including in the dormant cells that evade current treatments.

If successful, it offers hope of an irreversible cure for HIV and could save millions of pounds spent on drugs.

Early tests show the virus is undetectable in the man’s blood.

But he will have to wait some months before confirmation on whether the treatment has perma­nently cleared the disease.

It is possible that the absence of the virus could be down to the conventional drugs that he has also been taking which can temporarily clear the body of the disease.

Mark Samuels, managing director of the National Institute for Health Research Office for Clinical Research Infra­structure, which set up the medical consortium, told the newspaper: “This is one of the first serious attempts at a full cure for HIV. We are exploring the real possibility of curing HIV. This is a huge challenge and it’s still early days but the progress has been remarkable.”

The HIV virus is mostly transmitted by sex. Once in the body it targets T-cells, part of the immune system, splicing itself into their DNA. If the T-cell is active the HIV hijacks it, turning it into a tiny factory spewing millions more viruses to infect other T-cells.

It is this aspect of HIV activity that is targeted and suppressed by anti-retroviral therapies (ART). What ART cannot do is pick out the millions of infected T-cells lying dormant around the body — but waiting to spring into life should ART fail. It is the HIV reservoir in these dormant cells that the research group is targeting.

“It would be great if a cure has happened. My last blood test was a couple of weeks ago and there is no detectable virus. However, that could be the anti-retroviral therapies, so we have to wait to be sure,” the London-based patient said.

The new trial is being backed by the UK’s state-funded National Health Service (NHS) because it could save millions by removing the need to treat HIV patients with ART, which costs around 380,000 pounds per person over their lifetime.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App now

1. B
    Brian Carter
    May 14, 2017 at 11:43 pm
    Hello every one my Name is Brian Carter from Utica, New York, USA. I want to share a testimony on how this great man Dr Gravity help me I was HIV positive it was confirm I have be in several hospital but no one can cure it one day has I was browsing through the internet I saw a testimony on how. Dr Gravity help someone so I contact him and he tell me not to Worry that he will help me to cast it out that I should give him two days and he tell me What to do and I do it after two days he told me to go for test that I’m fire so I go to my greatest surprise I was HIV negative I’m the happiest girl in the own would thank you Dr Gravity his email drgravity1dhc@gmail HE CAN ALSO CURE ANY KIND OF SICKNESS OR DISEASE 1). SICKLE CELL ANEMIA 2). CANCER OF ANY KIND 3). TYPE 2 DIABETES 4). HERPES VIRUS 5). HEPA IS A, B & C 6). KINDNESS DISEASE 7). HEPATOCELLULAR CARCINOMA
    1. B
      Brian Carter
      May 14, 2017 at 11:39 pm
        Marcia Peterson
        May 14, 2017 at 11:35 pm
        THANK GOD!!! TODAY I'M CURED OF BLOOD CANCER (LEUKEMIA) I am Marcia Peterson from Los Angeles, CA, I was diagnosed with a blood cancer (Leukemia) in 2012. I've gone to one hospital to the other, from one church to the other looking for miracle but no solution. Thank God for a friend who I met in a grocery store, She told me of a spiritual doctor that healed her from Herpes Virus and Type 2 Diabetes... She gave me his information on how to reach him. I thought about it for days and gave it a try but little did I know that my solution will come from there. I actually contacted him and told him my problem. He told me what I should do, which I did. Today am healed, thank God for my life. Leukemia is a very dangerous, it kill slowly. Thank God for Dr. Gravity who healed me from blood cancer (Leukemia). Please for those who are suffering from any disease, You should contact Dr. Gravity via email on drgravity1dhc@gmail
          Marcia Peterson
          May 14, 2017 at 11:34 pm
            Keisha Nick
            May 5, 2017 at 12:26 am
            i will always be indebted to the great Dr Akuna for his miraculous help, doctor keep saying that there is no cure for herpes disease but that is a lie because I'm a living testimony that was cured of my herpes disease after suffering for 3years and now i am totally cured because the great Dr Akuna cured me of my herpes virus that i have suffered for more than 8years at first i thought this was a scam but after contacting him, i then knew that he was real and ever wil to help me, after he prepared my herbal medicine and when i received it and used it for 2 weeks i was found negative, if you going through this same disease or any form of disease,know that Dr Akuna is there to help you to restored your health back to you, just write to him on his email:drakunasolutiontemple@gmail or his Mobile line: 2348154625070 or his s: : drakunasolutiontem.wixsite /dr-akuna..
              Keisha Nick
              May 5, 2017 at 12:26 am
                Keisha Nick
                May 5, 2017 at 12:12 am
                  Keisha Nick
                  May 5, 2017 at 12:11 am
                  1. C
                    ChristopherNiall
                    May 1, 2017 at 3:11 pm
                    I really want to thank Dr Ero for saving my marriage. My wife really treat me bad and left the home for almost 1 month i was sick because of this, then i contacted eromo lovespell@outlook for help, he told me that my wife is under a great spell of another man. then he cast a spell of return back of love on her. And she came back home and ask for forgiveness and today we are happy again,Don't give up just yet, the different between 'Ordinary' & 'Extra-Ordinary' is the 'Extra' so make extra effort to save your marriage/relationship if it's truly worth it. eromo lovespell@outlook website : eromosalspiritualtemple.webs or call him with 2348161850195
                    1. J
                      james miller
                      Apr 29, 2017 at 10:28 am
                      I was diagnosed with HIV this year, and for some reason my mind was ready for that answer since I had been showing strange signs since January of this year. Both my love were there with me when I got the news and we are both very supportive, and I am truly thankful for that. I told my closest friends, one of them being the girl I really like, and she has been supporting me since I started this w process and has always given me support. So far no one has turned their back on me due to ignorance or anything like that. I am thankful that I have not fallen into a depression or anything like that. On Monday August I get my result for CD4 (T-cell) count and virus load count, and I am hoping I have a high level of T-cells. The last thing I have lost is hope and that was what lead me to Dr Odia of ( drodiaherbalistcenter @ gmail . com ) Who helped me with herbal herbs medicine to get me cured of this disease, and I would like to let others know that even though sometimes we might feel the
                      1. z
                        zm659
                        Apr 26, 2017 at 9:10 pm
                        Emily my heart is full of joy.testing hiv positive cost my relationship 2years ago i became devastated i was so emotionally drained and didn't know what to do. i opened my eyes to see the man i loved so much dumped me as a result of my predicament i rescind from my works cause at the time it was almost close to when all the staff go through wider test to ascertain the health condition of everyone.i sought for help took so many Arv all to no avail i resorted to spell from Africa but it wasn't completely gone not until a friend told me about Dr Barasa of Africa who cures HIV,Cancer,diabetes,herpes,hepa is b i hesitated initially but he was so confident about this man so i decided to contact him through the email he gave me barasatemple@gmail and we got talking i was relieved talking to him alone then he told me about how he cure people that he will have to send me herbs and perform spiritual cleansing today i am well again
                          michelbella
                          Apr 26, 2017 at 2:58 am
                          I Am Here Again To Say A Big Thanks To Dr.Sebi For Making Me A Complete woman Again, I Was Infected With Herpes For 5 Years I Have Been Seriously Praying To God And Searching For Cure. I Came Here Last Month To Search For Solution To My Problem And I Saw A Comment Of People Talking About Different Doctors And God Directed Me To Choose Dr.Sebi And I Contacted Him, He Sent Me A Medicine And Directed Me On How I Will Take The Medicine For 7 Days, I Did So And Went For A Test And My Result Came Out As Negative. I Am So Happy, I Shared Tears Of Happiness And I Have Taken It Upon My Self To Always Testify About How God Used Dr.Sebi To Solve My Problem. I Am A Clean woman Now, Without Any Virus If You Are Infected With Any Disease Like HIV AIDS, CANCER ,HERPES Or Any Other Disease You Can Also Be Happy Like Me By Contacting Dr Sebi Through His Email drsebispelltemple@gmail or Whatsapp number 2348153863900 or see more at : drsebispelltemple.wixsite /spelltemple
                          1. N
                            Nasuha Helen
                            Apr 25, 2017 at 1:49 pm
                            WOW WHO WILL EVE BELIEVE THAT I WILL BE THIS HAPPY TODAY, AFTER MANY YEARS OF PAIN LIVING WITH HERPES VIRUS 1&2. MY NAME IS NASUHA ZAKARIA LIVE IN UNITED KINGDOM. IT ALL HAPPEN FEW YEARS BACK WHEN I DISCOVERED THAT MY SYSTEM IS NO LONGER FUNCTIONING WELL, SO I DECIDED TO GO FOR MEDICAL CHECKUP ALL TO DISCOVERED THAT I HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH HERPES VIRUS AND I NEVER NOTICE IT FOR A VERY LONG TIME. AT THIS PARTICULAR POINT OF TIME I WANTED TO GIVE UP MY LIFE, BUT WHEN I WENT THROUGH THE INTERNET TO READ MORE ABOUT HERPES VIRUS, I FOUND OUT THAT THIS VIRUS IS DISGUSTING BOTH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL. GOD SO HAVE IT THAT I HARD ABOUT THIS SIMPLE WONDERFUL AND GOD SENT HERBAL DR CALLED DR OLUWA THE SAME DAY I WANTED TO GIVE UP EVERYTHING BECAUSE I FEEL LIFE WAS NO LONGER IMPORTANT TO ME, MANY THINGS HAPPENED BUT TO CUT THE STORY SHORT, I AM HERPES VIRUS NEGATIVE NOW, AND EVER SENSE I WAS CURED THERE IS NO OUTBREAK EVERYTHING HAS GONE BACK TO NORMAL AND I BELIEVE AM THE HAPPIEST PERSON ON EARTH
                            1. j
                              jennifer.elliot
                              Apr 22, 2017 at 3:02 am
                              o Everyone my name is jennifer elliot am here to give my testimony about Dr Aluya who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from my HIV disease by Dr Aluya,i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on hiv and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Aluya cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, my HIV result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no cure for hiv/herpes that is Not true, just contact him and get cured from Dr ALUYA solution temple for all kinds of sickness you may have, Remember delay in treatment leads to death email him now on his email address dr.aluyasolutiontemple@yahoo or call 2347064851317 you
                              1. j
                                jennifer.elliot
                                Apr 22, 2017 at 3:02 am
                                1. B
                                  Bella Amada
                                  Apr 15, 2017 at 2:06 am
                                  I Am Here Again To Say A Big Thanks To Dr.Sebi For Making Me A Complete woman Again, I Was Infected With HIV/AIDS For 4 Years I Have Been Seriously Praying To God And Searching For Cure. I Came Here Last Month To Search For Solution To My Problem And I Saw A Comment Of People Talking About Different Doctors And God Directed Me To Choose Dr.Sebi And I Contacted Him, He Sent Me A Medicine And Directed Me On How I Will Take The Medicine For 7 Days, I Did So And Went For A Test And My Result Came Out As Negative. I Am So Happy, I Shared Tears Of Happiness And I Have Taken It Upon My Self To Always Testify About How God Used Dr.Sebi To Solve My Problem. I Am A Clean woman Now, Without Any Virus If You Are Infected With Any Disease Like HIV, AIDS, CANCER, HERPES, Or Any Other Disease You Can Also Be Happy Like Me By Contacting Dr Sebi Through His Email: drsebispelltemple@Gmail Or : drsebispelltemple.wixsite /spelltemple Whatsapp 2348153863900
                                    Ana Sandra
                                    Apr 15, 2017 at 12:20 am
                                    Greetings to the general public, i want to tell about how i was cured of HIV/AIDS disease by a Doctor called Dr EHI. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HIV and i saw comments of people talking about how Doctor EHI cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of been cured of HIV/AIDS so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment (dr.ehispelltemple1@gmail ) when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr EHI God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and grate men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email: dr.ehispelltemple1@gmail
                                    1. E
                                      ese
                                      Apr 14, 2017 at 11:21 am
                                      My name is Ese, I want the world to know about the great Dr OSARIASE who cured my hiv/aids.Just when I thought that all hope is gone. God then showed me another way by connecting me to the Great Dr OSARIASE who used herbal medicine to cured my four (4) years hiv/aids. A situation which as also kept me unmarried through out those trouble years. There is no medication I didn't take during those trouble years. I was going through the internet one day when I saw a testimony by one Mrs. Elizabeth on how this great Dr OSARIASE cured her and her husband of hiv/aids. So I decided to contact this great man also, and truly he prepared a herbal medicine for me which he instructed me to take within two weeks. I went for a test immediately I finished taking the herb and the result was Negative. Immediately my heart was field with Joy because I can happily look for my life partner now and get marry. Dr OSARIASE God will bless you, you will live long. You can also contact this great Dr. Through emai
                                        Manson Evelin
                                        Apr 13, 2017 at 2:26 am
                                        o, Manson evelin by name, I am testifying about Dr. Ken the Great herbalist, who has the cure for all diseases, who cured me the HIV dis Mail and you need some information for me, then I sent you, you prepared Cured and shipped via UPS courier, I was told it would take 3-4 days Before receiving the package, 3 days later I received the package and started Take the medications prescribed by him after 7 days of taking Medication, I went to a test, I tried the HIV NEGATIVE. I give thanks to my faithful God. IF YOU ARE NEEDED You will be healed, put it yourself Contact Dr. Ken in whats-app .. whats, or call 2347039225049, email it dr.kenherbalcure@gmail
                                          Stacy Jones
                                          Feb 25, 2017 at 5:42 am
                                          I am here to give my testimony about Dr AKPATA who helped me in mylt;br/gt;life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEXlt;br/gt;VIRUS) by Dr AKPATA,i visited different hospital but they gave melt;br/gt;list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensivelt;br/gt;to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through thelt;br/gt;Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of peoplelt;br/gt;talking about how Dr AKPATA cured them. when i contacted him he gavelt;br/gt;me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriouslylt;br/gt;worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their islt;br/gt;no cure for Herpes,HIV,Cancer and Ex Lover back, that is Not true just contact him and get cure fromlt;br/gt;Dr AKPATA.lt;br/gt;EMAIL=()lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;REGARDS.
                                            Adams Rich
                                            Feb 12, 2017 at 6:49 pm
                                            Before, people said there is no cure on HIV/AIDS, but today many people have now believed that there is a cure for HIV/AIDS can be cured through Africans root and harbs,and today our great doctors have finally found the cure of HIV/AIDS, many have get curede-mail: d ragbi with the help of a Herbal doctor known as Dr agbi, he is the one of the great Herbal doctor in Africa and has the cure on this disease HIV/AIDS. last month he shared his Herbal medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best Herbal Doctor in Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this disease when the cure have already be found long time. so if you want to get in touch with him in private, kindly contact him on whatsapp 2349065402272 or gmail;