British scientists on verge of HIV cure: Report

The new trial is being backed by the UK's state-funded National Health Service because it could save millions by removing the need to treat HIV patients with ART.

By: PTI | London | Published: October 2, 2016 7:46 pm
hiv, aids, hiv aids, hiv positive, hiv research, hiv infection, aids research, aids study, china research If the new treatment trial is successful, it offers hope of an irreversible cure for HIV and could save millions of pounds spent on drugs. (Source: File)

British scientists are on the verge of confirming a treatment for HIV, an incurable virus that leads to deadly AIDS disease, if a new treatment trial proves successful, a media report claimed on Sunday.

A British man with HIV hopes to become the first in the world to be cured of the disease by using the pioneering new therapy designed to eradicate the virus, ‘The Sunday Times’ reported.

Watch what else is making news

The 44-year-old is the first of 50 people to complete a trial of the ambitious treatment, designed by scientists and doctors from five of Britain’s leading universities – universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College London, University College London and King’s College London.

It is the first therapy created to track down and destroy HIV in every part of the body — including in the dormant cells that evade current treatments.

If successful, it offers hope of an irreversible cure for HIV and could save millions of pounds spent on drugs.

Early tests show the virus is undetectable in the man’s blood.

But he will have to wait some months before confirmation on whether the treatment has perma­nently cleared the disease.

It is possible that the absence of the virus could be down to the conventional drugs that he has also been taking which can temporarily clear the body of the disease.

Mark Samuels, managing director of the National Institute for Health Research Office for Clinical Research Infra­structure, which set up the medical consortium, told the newspaper: “This is one of the first serious attempts at a full cure for HIV. We are exploring the real possibility of curing HIV. This is a huge challenge and it’s still early days but the progress has been remarkable.”

The HIV virus is mostly transmitted by sex. Once in the body it targets T-cells, part of the immune system, splicing itself into their DNA. If the T-cell is active the HIV hijacks it, turning it into a tiny factory spewing millions more viruses to infect other T-cells.

It is this aspect of HIV activity that is targeted and suppressed by anti-retroviral therapies (ART). What ART cannot do is pick out the millions of infected T-cells lying dormant around the body — but waiting to spring into life should ART fail. It is the HIV reservoir in these dormant cells that the research group is targeting.

“It would be great if a cure has happened. My last blood test was a couple of weeks ago and there is no detectable virus. However, that could be the anti-retroviral therapies, so we have to wait to be sure,” the London-based patient said.

The new trial is being backed by the UK’s state-funded National Health Service (NHS) because it could save millions by removing the need to treat HIV patients with ART, which costs around 380,000 pounds per person over their lifetime.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. H
    Howard Raymond
    Sep 6, 2017 at 6:33 am
    I think this site is useful in all that is suffering from Herpes Virus can show it to their friends and family and then there is a greater understanding I don't just know the reason why some people are finding it difficult to believe that, there is a cure for herpes, I have been suffering from herpes since 9month now but today I am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine of Dr.Oz the great healer,I was browsing the internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr.Oz cure his herpes I was so much in need of getting his treatment so I contacted Dr.Oz for the herpes cure. I am so much happy today that we have someone like this great herbal Dr out there, contact Dr Oz on email address: Ozremedycure or you can also visit his web site : ozremedycure.webs / for more information call him on 2348056391583
    (0)(0)
      robert fred
      Aug 26, 2017 at 7:55 am
      My Name is Robert Fred from Canada..it gives me great joy to share with you on how I was cured of a dreaded virus called HIV Disease by Dr.ZUKU,a powerful traditional herbalist.i have be suffered for 8years and till now i am still shocked but the good new is that Dr,ZUKU is the reason for my smile today. i don't know to explain how everything worked. the healing happened within the twinkle of my eye. after all the years of going from places to another for remedy. i got my cured finally. May God continue to bless his work and also to my best friend who searched him on his internet and directed me to contact him. after writing to him he prepared my herbal cure and how i am to use it and withing 2 weeks after using herbal Why not visit him today through: drzukuspelltemple
      (0)(0)
      1. omo blessing
        Aug 24, 2017 at 1:54 pm
        God bless Dr omohan for curing my HIV with his healing spell, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will for ever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr omohan to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my two kids and my husband after the medical doctor have confirmed my HIV status Negative,i have never in my life believed that HIV could be cured by Dr omohan healing spell. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr omohan that all hope is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email (dromohanherbalmedicine Whatsapp number is 2349030313722
        (0)(0)
        1. christabel0
          Aug 14, 2017 at 3:29 am
          appiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR OBANJO helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is drobanjospellhome just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, hasked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in ret
          (0)(0)
            diana
            Jul 29, 2017 at 3:18 am
            This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herbal can cure four years HERPES in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man who is well know of HERPES and cancer cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HERPES in my body, he prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my friend who was also HERPES positive to the Dr, after the treatment she was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his email address, dr.okonnofua and
            (0)(0)