British man may be the first to be cured of HIV

A team from five UK universities is conducting medical trials designed to clear the body of all HIV viruses.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Published:October 3, 2016 10:04 am
hiv aids, hiv aids cure, new therapy for hiv aids, aids cure, aids diseases, cure for aids, aids prevention, aids health, lifestyle news, health, indian express, The current antiretrovial therapies only target the active T-cells which have been infected by the virus but have no affect on the dormant T-cells. (Representational image)

A 44-year-old man from England could possibly be the first person in history to be cured of HIV. A team from five UK universities is conducting medical trials designed to clear the body of HIV viruses. The unidentified patient is reportedly a ‘social care worker’ in London. Scientists, working on this new experimental therapy, have said that the virus is undetectable in his blood.

The new therapy is different than the ones already existing as it is ‘specifically designed’ to clear the patient’s body of all HIV viruses. The current anti-retrovial therapies only target the active T-cells which have been infected by the virus but have no affect on the dormant T-cells. This results in the virus to multiply inside the patients body. Professor Sarah Fidler, a consultant physician at Imperial College London, told the Times, “This therapy is specifically designed to clear the body of all HIV viruses, including dormant ones.”

Watch What Else Is Making News

The new treatment works in two stages, the first consisting of a vaccine for the body to recognise HIV infected cells, the second involves administration of a drug known as Vorinostat that activates the dormant T-cells. This gives the immune system the necessary tools to fight the virus.

Fidler has reportedly said that the researchers are a long way from a finished therapy, “We will continue with medical tests for the next five years and at the moment we are not recommending stopping Art but in the future, depending on the test results we may explore this.”

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. B
    bacom blunt
    Feb 12, 2017 at 6:39 pm
    This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herbal can cure six years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr, after the treatment she was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his email address, and his contact 2347064693371 do email him he is a great man. the government is also interested in this DR, thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify for your good work add him now on whatsapp 2347064693371
    abdul
    Oct 3, 2016 at 5:04 am
    Good news , A ray of hope for millions .
  3. J
    james silva
    Nov 11, 2016 at 6:07 pm
    i want to thank Dr OSAGIE for the herbal HIV medicine he gave to me and my daughter, i was suffering from HIV when i gave birth to my daughter and that was how my daughter got the sickness indirect from me, but to God be the glory that i am heal with the herbal medicine that DR OSAGIE gave to me when i contacted him. i want to use this medium to tell everyone that the solution to our sickness has come, so i will like you to contact this great healer on his email address: orlt;br/gt;lt;br/gt; with him all your pains will be gone, i am really happy today that i and my daughter are cured of HIV, we are now negative after the use of his medicine,my doctor confirm it. once more i say a big thank to you Dr OSAGIE for healing hands upon my life and my daughter, i say may God continue to bless you abundantly and give you more power to keep helping those that want your help in their lives. email him now he is waiting to receive you. orlt;br/gt;lt;br/gt; or join him on whatapps with this is 2347030465649 or his is numberlt;br/gt;call lt;br/gt; 2347030465649.....lt;br/gt;
    muzaffar
    Oct 11, 2016 at 11:39 am
    Good news for all of you..
    Shiva Munankarmi
    Oct 3, 2016 at 5:43 am
    Good news to HIV patient-lt;br/gt;A 44-year-old man from England could possibly be the first person in history to be cured of HIV.