Boys born through IVF have low sperm counts: Study

The findings are based on first results from the world's oldest group of young men conceived by means of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) fertility treatment because of their fathers' infertility.

By: IANS | London | Published:October 7, 2016 7:23 pm
babies-main ICSI is a procedure by which sperm from the father is injected directly into the mother’s egg in the laboratory. (File)

Baby boys conceived through a common type of IVF treatment have lower sperm quantity and quality than men who were spontaneously conceived, suggests new research. The findings are based on first results from the world’s oldest group of young men conceived by means of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) fertility treatment because of their fathers’ infertility.

“These findings are not unexpected,” said one of the co-authors of this study Andre Van Steirteghem, Emeritus Professor at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) in Brussels, Belgium.

“Before ICSI was carried out, prospective parents were informed that it may well be that their sons may have impaired sperm and semen like their fathers. For all the parents this information was not a reason to abstain from ICSI because, as they said: ‘if this happens ICSI can then also be a solution for our sons’,” Van Steirteghem noted.

“These first results from the oldest group of ICSI-conceived adults worldwide indicate that a degree of ‘sub-fertility’ has, indeed, been passed on to sons of fathers who underwent ICSI because of impaired semen characteristics,” he added.

ICSI is a procedure by which sperm from the father is injected directly into the mother’s egg in the laboratory, and then the fertilised egg is placed in her womb. The technique was pioneered in 1990s at VUB’s Centre for Reproductive Medicine headed by Van Steirteghem. The first ICSI baby was born on 14 January 1992. The current study reports on 54 men, born in the early years of ICSI between 1992-1996, when ICSI was only used to treat male infertility.

The study, published in the journal Human Reproduction, found that these men, who were aged between 18 to 22, had almost half the sperm concentration and a two-fold lower total sperm count and total count of motile sperm (sperm that could swim well) than did naturally conceived men of a similar age.

In addition, compared to men born after spontaneous conception, the men born through the IVF technique were nearly three times more likely to have sperm concentrations below 15 million per millilitre of semen, which is the World Health Organisation’s definition of “normal,” and four times more likely to have total sperm counts below 39 million.

The study was carried out at University Hospital Brussels (UZBrussel) between March 2013 and April 2016. It is part of a larger project that is following the health of young adults, male and female, born as a result of ICSI.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. C
    Clark Bob
    Feb 22, 2017 at 2:48 pm
  2. C
    Clark Bob
    Feb 22, 2017 at 2:49 pm
  3. C
    Clark Bob
    Feb 22, 2017 at 2:50 pm
    Though i haven't meet DR. OBOITE but i have being hearing and seeing his wonderful deeds on people's life.. This made me contacted him because i was also diagnosed of herpes virus, When i contacted Him, without wasting time, he started his Miraculous work in my Life, I am happy and Glad to say that i am now cured after using his herbal Medicine.. You can also reach him on his email: or reach him on his cell phone or add him to WhatsApp 2347086770069lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;He also special on curinglt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;1...HERPS CURElt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;2...ALS CURElt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;3..HIV CURElt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;EPILEPSYlt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;5...PROMOTION IN THE OFFICElt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;6...LOVE SPELLlt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;7gt;gt;EX BACKlt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;etc.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;..
    drashaghe
    Jan 23, 2017 at 1:55 am
    thanks to dr ashaghe who cured me of low sperm count, my wife was already complating divource because i was unable to inpregnate her after five yes of our marriage.lt;br/gt;until i saw dr ashaghe's testimonies online, on how he has cured people of low sperm count, and i surmon courage to call him, and he administered his herb on me, after two months of the treatment my wife became pregnant, in case you wants to reach him for a similar problem, you can email; or call 2347080283038
    maria
    Dec 23, 2016 at 5:52 am
    this is my happiest day in life that I am now a father after 9 year of marriage, I have been treating low sperm count from my system, for all this while until I saw Dr olushola recommendation on the internet, all glory and worship to God Almighty and special thanks to Dr olushola who cure me of this mess. If not for him my marriage would have been broken by now. Please if you facing similar problems you contact him on whatsapp number 2349057353558 or
    mariam
    Oct 13, 2016 at 11:11 am
    thankes to Dr osaze who cured me of low sperm count, i was married for five years without an issue, my wife was now already comteplating divorce. until i saw Dr osaze's recommendations online, and i surmon courage to contact him, and he administered his herb on me, after two moonths my wife became pregnant. incase you wants to contact him for a similar problem, you can reach him through his email address: or call 2349059942347