A new report from the US seems to suggest that Asperger’s syndrome, a mild form of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), could be wrecking a lot of marriages, especially in the South Asian Community. And strangely enough, the symptoms of the disease seems to thrive in people who are successful software engineers and academics.
Eva A. Mendes, a psychotherapist, couple counselor and author of the book Marriage and Lasting Relationships with Asperger’s Syndrome, lists defining symptoms of the disease: “if a person is a loner and struggles to keep friends, considers highly of himself, fails to even notice if spouse is sad or crying, if he talks too much or too little” .
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 1 in 68 children suffer from ASD in multiple communities in the United States which is 30 per cent higher than the last time it was checked in 2012. However, the condition is extremely difficult to identify among adults.
Mendes assumes that because Asians thrive in the field of IT, engineering, technology, medicine, and science, there is a huge possibility that a considerable percentage of Asian community is affected by this condition.
“Given that a lot of Indians still opt for arranged marriages or meet via the Internet or have long-distance relationships, the challenges and traits of the person with ASD might at first go unnoticed,” she writes. Also, given the “conservative nature” of South-Asian culture, couples often tend to keep issues to themselves and choose not to discuss. Mendes says “With a spouse with ASD, the wife or husband may suffer from severe depression and even feel suicidal because they feel helpless to change the situation.”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
ASD is not a psychological disorder, but a neurological one that is hereditary in nature. In fact, often it’s the ASD diagnosis of the child which leads the parents to suspect their own condition.