“Journey of thousand mile begins with a single step”, said the famous Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu. The line has been interpreted by all and sundry in various situations. We will take it literally, albeit, with a little twist.
Journey towards green living, starts with a single step you take to the nearest park. Yes, it is the greenest way of life you can follow. I am not proposing any fitness regime that you can follow. Just get up and walk.
It’s a great experience too. Walking is essentially an outdoor activity. It brings you closer to your surroundings. You become more aware of your environment. Many great thinkers, social scientists, philosophers and even chess great Kasparov, incorporated walking in their daily routine. Their brightest ideas came to them during their long walks.
But more than that walking is a least stressful way to small commutes. Walk to your nearest market, go out for small grocery shopping on foot, take stairs to climb up or down from your home and keeping pushing your limit to walk as much as you can. You can even park your car slightly away from your office so that you can at least force walk twice in a day. Once while going to office and second while coming back home.
Walking is something that can be done any time of the day from morning till late at night (provided if you live in a secure apartment or gated community). This kind of short walks may not keep you fighting fit but will make you active. And activity is what counts in daily life.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Experts now are realising that more than super fitness it’s active habits that gives a person holistic health and better life quality. Also heavy exercise regimes are hard to keep pace with due to time constraints and limited availability of gyms, while walking is hassle-free and equipment less exercise that needs a pair of reasonably sturdy legs.
Think of this. By getting up and walking, you will save costly gym memberships, lower your petrol or diesel bills, freedom from the hassle of finding parking spaces and also end up burning few calories and help yourself in making the ultimate green style statement.
Keshav Chaturvedi is a media professional for the last 23 years. Recently the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting’s publication division brought out his book – Climate Change Negotiations: An Assessment. He was also the content head of the renewable energy magazine Energy Next brought out by IREDA. Presently he writes for the Financial Chronicle (the financial paper of Deccan Chronicle) and is the consulting editor at http://www.greencommunications.in. He also maintains a regular blog on sustainable development issues http://www.indiadynamic.wordpress.com