With fire in their belly and the force of steam driving them on, steam locomotives once ruled the world of transportation. This world has now sadly been reduced to a heritage steam shed in Rewari, Haryana. The last passenger train to run on a steam engine was between Ferozpur and Jalandar in 1995. The Indian Steam Railway Society has organised an exhibition called “Full Steam Ahead”, at All India Fine Arts and Crafts Society in Delhi, to captures the charm of these “Black Beauties” as they are fondly called.
With photographs from celebrated photographers, including Steve McCurry and Peter Jordan, to enthusiasts from the society, one can spot a Punjab Mail or a Taj Express surrounded by puffs of steam and engines lined up as if for a beauty contest. Joginder Singh, member of the society, shows photos of the locomotives that appeared in movies such as Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001), Barfi! (2012) and Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013).
For over 15 years, the Indian Steam Railway Society has been engaged in preserving and reviving steam locomotives. This exhibition is their way of bringing back the romance and the heritage of the railways.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The exhibition, which closes on Monday, is open till 7pm at AIFACS, Rafi Marg.
This story appeared in print with the headline On Track