If you have been to Kolkata and not had a ‘roll’, your visit was incomplete. When it comes to street food, the ‘egg roll’ undoubtedly rules the eastern metropolis and the hearts of its people. Though not very different from the ‘kathi roll’ of Delhi and the ‘frankie’ of Mumbai, egg roll has its own unique charm. You can have it with chicken or mutton fillings too, but the original egg-only version, with a filling of pickled tangy onions and cucumber, has always been the most popular. In Kolkata, or for those from Kolkata, when you order ‘roll’ it implies ‘egg roll’, whether you mention egg or not — even a mutton or chicken roll is not a ‘roll’ if it doesn’t have a layer of egg inside.
The recipe is simple and can be easily made at home. Here is how:
Ingredients (serves 4)
Vinegar: 2 tablespoons
Atta: 1 cup
Maida: 1 cup
Oil: 2-3 tablespoons for the dough and as required for frying
Salt to taste
Chilli flakes: ½ teaspoon
Preparation: Knead the dough well by mixing the atta and maida with oil, salt and water.
For the filling, slice the onions, cucumber and carrots thinly and mix them with vinegar, chilli flakes and salt.
Make four balls out of the soft dough and roll out like chapattis/paranthas.
Fry one by one on both sides with a little oil and keep aside.
Beat one egg slightly and spread it on the tawa.
Put one of the fried paranthas on it immediately.
Once the egg below the parantha solidifies, take it off the fame and keep it on a plate — egg side up.
Spread some tomato sauce and the salad filling, before rolling it up. Repeat the process with the rest of the three paranthas.
Note: For the filling, you can also use spicy chicken or mutton. Just make the filling juicy but adequately dry so that the roll doesn’t fall apart.
Follow author on Twitter @sanghamitra_m
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016