Burgers have to be the most popular convenience food. Once served only as fast food, burgers are soon making their way into gourmet cuisines. The vegetarian burger for long was simply a potato patty. But no more! There are so many options now to make the burger healthier.
This is my best bean burger yet.
I have tried many recipes for bean burgers but they have always fallen short until I found this recipe. The addition of bulgur was a surprise for me. It not only does it bind the burger patty well, but also enhances the texture. I gave it an Indian twist with the spices and green chutney-mayo as the sauce. With an array of herbs and spices and fresh ingredients, it is a delightful change from our regular menu. The burger is simple to prepare and cook and also freezes well.
Preparation: 20 mins (+1 hour chilling time) | Cooking Time: 40 mins | Serves: 4
1/2 cup – Bulgur wheat
200g – Red kidney beans, soaked overnight and boiled
200g – Black-eyed beans, soaked overnight and boiled
2 – Green chillies
1 – Onion, chopped
1/2 cup – Fresh coriander
2 – Garlic cloves
1 – Green capsicum, chopped
2 tsp – Cumin powder
1 tsp – Garam masala
1 tsp – Chaat masala
1/2 cup – Wholewheat flour for dusting
2 tbsp – Green chutney
6 tbsp – Mayonnaise
Oil/butter – For shallow frying the burger
Salt – To taste
Red pepper powder – To taste
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
1 – Salad tomato, sliced
1 – Large onion, sliced
5-6 lettuce/salad leaves
* Soak the bulgur wheat in 1 cup hot water for 15 minutes. Cook it on low flame with the water for 10-15 minutes until the all the water has been absorbed and the wheat is cooked. Keep aside to cool down.
* I used dried beans which I soaked in water overnight and then boiled in the pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles until they were cooked. You can, instead, use canned beans also.
* Place the cooked beans (after cooling them a little), green chillies, garlic cloves, onions, capsicum and fresh coriander in a food processor. Finely chop everything together.
* Add the beans and vegetable mixture to the cooked bulgur wheat along with the powdered spices. Mix well and shape into 6-8 burger patties. * Cover the burger patties with a cling film and chill in refrigerator for at least an hour.
* Coat each burger in flour and dust off extra.
* Heat a flat pan and add oil/butter. When hot, cook the burgers over medium heat. Flip in between and cook until both sides are cooked well — 5-6 minutes each side.
* Cut the burger bun into half and lightly toast them. Place a lettuce leaf and then the burger. Add one slice of tomato and onion and top with generous amount of green chutney and mayo sauce. Close the bun and serve hot with fries.