Given the current sensitized milieu in the Capital following a North-Eastern man’s alleged murder, the most recent in a spate of hate crimes against people from the region, a restaurant chain’s advertising campaign left most with a bad taste in the mouth.
Mamagoto, a contemporary Asian dining chain with outlets in Delhi-NCR and Mumbai, which recently launched an “Asian-themed” sandwich range, perhaps unfortunately, called MamaBuns drew a lot of flak on social media sites for the menu’s promotional advertising.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Flyers with the illustration of an Asian lady holding a pair of provocatively-placed burgers as well as innuendo-laced taglines such as “Take an Asian home” were tagged and tweeted as being “racist”, “sexist” and “extremely offensive” by users across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter platforms.
However, the restaurant management was quick to respond to the criticism, apologizing profusely for any offence caused and promising to immediately withdraw the campaign.
A Facebook post by the restaurant read “We are extremely sorry if we offended anyone as we did not mean to hurt anybody’s sentiments. This was a bad judgment call and we take full responsibility. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, we are completely removing this piece of communication. We do hope you do not let this lapse in judgement hinder your perspective of our brand. Once again we are extremely apologetic. Team Mamagoto FunAsian.”