This is the very basic chocolate cake recipe. Everyone loves chocolate and this is my recipe when I am faced with demands like “I want to have something nice for dessert”. I love the chocolaty aroma it fills the house with. And when it’s in the oven while everyone is having dinner, it’s a temptation worth waiting for as an after-dinner treat!
Oh! And how I love the cracked top as you take the cake out of oven! In bakeries, they slice off the top to get an even surface and then cover it with icing. But there’s something that makes me feel so happy when I see those cracks and so I chose a picture that celebrates them well! Apologies if you wanted a different one where the cracks are hidden beneath a layer of chocolate icing!
The very basic chocolate cake
Preparation: 15 mins| Baking Time: 1 hour| Serves 8-10
2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
100 gms softened butter
1 cup castor sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup skimmed milk
2 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
Pre-heat oven at 160C
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Prepare an 8” baking tin by lining it with greased butter paper
Dry ingredients: Sieve together flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder
Wet ingredients: In another bowl whisk together butter and sugar, till they are well combined. Now add in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla essence. Beat them together. Add milk and again mix it all together
Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, little by little and fold it in. You can beat it with a hand whisk or use a cake beater and beat at medium for 2-3 minutes till the batter is well combined. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and mix them in with a hand whisk/ fork.
Pour the batter in the prepared baking tin and bake at 160C for an hour or until a skewer/ toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
Remove on a cake dish/ plate and serve warm!
Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking. The fact that dear husband is a foodie and an honest critique helps! I blog about my adventures in the kitchen at http://www.myweekendkitchen.in/