Kumro Patay Chingri Mach Bhape
This is a traditional Bengali delicacy, which is rarely cooked nowadays. For this recipe, you need fresh pumpkin leaves.
A simpler version of the dish can be cooked in a steamer without the leaves, but the addition of green pumpkin leaves with prawns marinated with mustard and coconut is the traditional recipe.
Big or medium sized prawn — 10-12 pieces
Pumpkin leaves — 2 big or 3-4 small ones (should be soft)
Freshly grated coconut — 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds — 2 tbsp
Poppy seed — 1 tbsp
Green Chilli — 2-3 (according to your taste)
Salt — To taste
Sugar — 1 tsp
Turmeric — 1 tsp
Mustard Oil — 3 tbsp
* Clean and wash the prawns. Sprinkle some turmeric and salt, then keep aside.
* Wash the leaves and dip them in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Remove and keep aside. Take care not to tear them.
* Soak mustard seeds in water for 10 minutes. Blend together mustard seeds, poppy seeds, green chillies and grated coconut, and make a coarse paste. Add prawns in it, drizzle mustard oil in the paste and add salt and sugar. Now mix everything together well.
* Now take a bowl which can fit in your pressure cooker, drizzle a little mustard oil all over the bowl. Now spread pumpkin leaves and marinated prawns in it. Fold from all sides and cover with another leaf.
* Place the bowl inside the pressure cooker. Fill half the bowl with water. When the water starts to boil, close the cooker lid without the whistle. Steam for 12-15 minutes.
* Serve the steamed prawns with pumpkin leaves with hot steamed rice.