If you’re among the millions reeling from the news of Riverdale’s favourite carrot-topped character Archie Andrews’ demise, you might consider a wake of sorts at the recently opened Johnny Rockets in Saket. Armed with a jukebox belting out that rock ‘n’ roll, servers in American World War II uniforms who break into a seemingly impromptu jig every half an hour, and a menu as American as a slice of apple pie with cheddar (yes, it’s on the menu), Johnny Rockets evokes Pop Tarts like the name Forsythe conjures up an image of a grey-crowned beanie. The old-school tiled-and-chrome-edged counters and plush leather stools complete the transition from comics to reality.
The American-origin restaurant relies on the classic burger-and-shake menu of a diner (diners can choose among a selection of veg and non-veg patties), supplemented with some salads, wraps, starters and desserts. Our path is already laid out for us, and we stick to ordering burgers, a shake and some Cheese Fries.
The fries come first, looking like they’re out of an episode of Man vs Food, in which food comprehensively succumbs man.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Smothered in cheesy goodness as they are, one wades into them in entirely requited enthusiasm. Coming up for air again, we notice the arrival of our equally formidable KitKat Shake in a tall, chilled glass accompanied by the stainless steel mixer it was hand blended in, the latter containing the wintry remnants of vanilla ice cream and KitKat chunks. The shake itself is a glutinous confection which consumes you as much and as gloriously as you do it.
Though already feeling like a particularly satiated boa constrictor, our burgers are still to come: the Original Burger (of which Johnny Rockets is the home, according to their signage), featuring a tenderloin patty with shredded lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles in a mustard and mayo-slathered bun; and the Houston, which comprises a chicken patty with jalapeños, Pepper Jack cheese, lettuce and spicy sauce. We rally ourselves and jump into the fray jaws first, as it were. It’s a wholly delicious battle.
Worries that this has degenerated more into an homage to Jughead, rather than a wake for Archie fade away as we delve into dessert, the aforementioned apple pie with cheese, caramelised apples in a flaky crust offset by the salted, slightly smoky bubbling cheese, with Don McLean providing an apt background score.
Meal for two: Rs1,500 (inclusive of taxes)
Address: Second floor, Select CityWalk, Saket.