Kothu Roti is an easy dish especially if you need to quickly rescue some leftovers. Parathas torn to shreds mashed with vegetables, beaten eggs and a portion of meat curry makes for an appetizing introduction to Sri Lankan street food. Mumbai-based food blogger Payal Bhuptani, who recently hosted a food pop up that focused on Ceylon shares her recipe for Kothu Roti made using lamb gravy, but you can substitute it with any meat gravy. Payal Bhuptani blogs about her culinary explorations on dontgiveafork.com
Recipe for Kothu Roti
(By Payal Bhuptani)
1 1/2 cup – Cooked lamb curry meat, plus a bit of the gravy
4 – Godhamba (wheat) rotis or parathas made of maida (you can use Malabar/Kerala parathas as well)
1 – Large onion, finely sliced
2 – Green chillies, finely sliced
4 – Garlic cloves, sliced
1 sprig – Curry leaves
1 – Carrot, grated or julienned
2 – Eggs, whisked
1 1/2 tsp – Sri Lankan curry powder
1/2 tsp – Cumin powder
4-5 tbsp – Oil
For the Sri Lankan curry powder
6 – Cardamoms
3 tbsp – Coriander seeds
2 tbsp – Cumin seeds
1 tbsp – Fennel seeds
1 tsp – Cloves
1 – Cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp – Mustard
2 tbsp – Raw white rice
2 tbsp – Black pepper
* To make the roasted curry powder, roast the rice in a deep bottomed pan or kadhai first on a medium-low flame until the grains are lightly browned.
* Then add the cinnamon stick and continue roasting for about 2 minutes.
* Then add the coriander seeds and roast until they turn brown, followed by fennel, cloves, cardamom and cumin, one by one in that order, to brown them without burning the spice mixture.
* Add the mustard seeds right at the end and wait for them to start popping and take the pan off the heat.
* Cool the spice mixture to room temperature and add the whole black peppers.
* Grind the spices in a mixer grinder to a fine powder. I prefer to use a mortar and pestle.
* Heat the oil in a pan over low flame. Add the curry leaves, ginger and garlic and fry till fragrant.
* Add the onions till they are lightly brown and add the spices along with salt and pepper. Fry for 1 minute or so.
* Next, add the vegetables and stir-fry for couple of minutes.
* Now, move the veggies to the side of the pan and add the beaten eggs in the middle of the pan along with green chilies.
* Stir all the ingredients well and add the meat curry.
* Add strips of the roti to this mixture and stir again for a couple of minutes.
* Serve hot or cold.