Strawberry is juicy, refreshing and has just the right mix of nutrients and anti-oxidants. Add a little yogurt, cream, cheese and make a cake to satiate that sweet craving. Here’s the recipe
1½ cups plain yogurt (ready made curd) – hang for 1 hour in a muslin cloth
300 gm (1½ cups) fresh cream
3 tbsp cheese spread
½ cup powdered sugar, or to taste
200 gm fresh strawberries – pureed in a mixer, see note
100 gm (1 cup) china grass mix, vanilla flavour
22 chocolate chip biscuits – crush with a rolling pin (belan) to a rough powder
3-4 tbsp melted butter, 2-3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp chopped cashews
4-5 fresh strawberries – sliced thinly
1 tbsp powdered sugar
a few mint leaves, optional
* Add melted butter to crushed biscuits and mix well. Add nuts and just enough milk to bind lightly. Spread at the bottom of 8-9″ loose bottom cake tin. Press well with the back of a steel bowl. Refrigerate to set.
* Beat cream with sugar till slightly fluffy but still thin.
* Beat cheese spread in a mixing bowl till smooth. Add hung yogurt and beat till smooth. Add whipped cream.
* Heat china grass mix & ½ cup water on low heat. Boil & simmer for 2-3 minutes.
* Warm the strawberry puree on low heat. Add the hot china grass into the warmed strawberry puree, stirring well with the other hand.
* Add the strawberry mixture to the yogurt-cream mixture and beat well to mix properly. Add colour if required. Check sugar, add more if required, depending on the sourness of yogurt and fruit. Pour over the biscuit crust in the tin. Keep in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours or till set.
* To decorate, sprinkle 1 tbsp powdered sugar on sliced strawberries. Mix gently and cover the top completely with strawberries.
Note: If fresh strawberries are not available, use ½ cup strawberry crush. Since the crush has sugar in it, omit the sugar. Warm the crush mixture before adding china grass.