When it comes to gifting, I believe there is nothing better than homemade stuff, especially homemade sweets. These whole wheat chocolate chip cookies pack in the goodness of whole wheat flour, honey and chocolate. Something that can be eaten (and gifted) guilt free. I go half and half on sweetness with honey and brown sugar. Too much of honey makes the batter thinner than how I would like it to be.
To make every cookie the same size, I bake them in my muffin pan. They come out exactly the same size and perfect to be packed in a jar and ready to gift. (Also read: Fruit and Ice Cream flan recipe)
Another tip that I received when I had started to learn baking was to always use eggs and butter at room temperature. So I normally take them out of refrigerator 30 mins before starting any preparation.
Honey wholewheat chocolate chip cookies
Preparation Time: 20 mins| Baking Time: 20 mins | Makes ~20 small cookies
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
100 gms unsalted butter, softened
1 medium egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1½ cup Wholewheat flour
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
100 gms of dark chocolate bar chopped into chips
* Beat together butter, sugar and honey with a cake beater until they are smooth and well combined.
* Add in the egg and vanilla essence. Beat again to combine.
* Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add this dry mixture, 1/4th cup at a time, mixing well before adding the next one. It will be a slightly sticky dough but that’s okay.
* Finally add in the chocolate chips and mix them evenly in the batter by just hand mixing.
* Preheat oven to 180ºC (~350ºF). Divide the dough into ~20 rounds and shape into cookies. Grease a muffin pan and place the cookies in each mould. Bake for 15 mins.
* Remove from oven on a cooling rack for 5 mins before taking the cookies out of the mould. Store in airtight jar when cooled down completely and enjoy.