These steamed potato and cheese balls were the inaugural dish of my new bright red steamer . Until now the use of steaming in cooking was limited to steamed veggies to go with grilled meat. This I could do with keeping the veggies on a colander and then atop a pot of boiling water. But now I want to go a step further; try momos and dimsums at home. That’s why the new addition in the kitchen.
These potato and cheese balls make for a quick delectable snack. I have given them an Indian chaat flavour but I’m sure they will taste amazing with a mix of Italian herbs as well. Since it was just a trial, I made a small batch of around 12 balls and they were gobbled up before I knew!
Also just like last week, this recipe is also very kid friendly and it will be great to have kids have their hands messy with mixing and making the balls!
Steamed Potato and Cheese Balls
Preparation Time: 5 mins| Cooking time: 15 mins| Makes ~12 balls
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
250 gms potatoes (I used 2 large)
100 gms soft cottage cheese
2 green chillies, chopped
½ cup Fresh coriander and mint leaves, chopped
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp dry mango powder (amchoor)
4 tsp chaat masala
2 tsp roasted cumin powder (bhuna zeera)
Salt to taste
3-4 Lettuce leaves/ wraps for steaming and serving
Pressure cook potatoes with a little water for about 2 whistles in the pressure cooker. We want the potatoes only par-boiled as the potatoes will be further cooked while steaming. Once boiled; keep them aside to air dry. Peel and grate along with cottage cheese.
Mix together all ingredients in a mixing bowl and make small balls (approx. ~2inch diameter)
Line the steamer with lettuce leaves and place the balls on top of them.
Steam for 5 minutes
As soon as you take the balls out of steamer, they will look a little soggy. Let them sit for a minute before serving
Serve on lettuce wraps.
Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking. The fact that dear husband is a foodie and an honest critique helps! I blog about my adventures in the kitchen at http://www.myweekendkitchen.in/