Yesterday my neighbour asked me if I knew how to make bhuni hui daal. I was lost. What is bhuni daal, I asked. Do you roast the daal before cooking it, I wondered. She didn’t know. She said it is very different from regular daal preparations; there is no water and each grain of daal is separate as opposed to regular daals where everything is mashed up together. She just remembered having it at some place and was wondering if I knew the recipe. After she left, I called my mom to ask, as I had never eaten bhuni daal but it sounded interesting. My mom told me it’s a very common Punjabi dish and her landlady makes it quite often. So she asked her and that’s how this recipe came from Chandigarh to Angola! There are a lot of different preparations on the internet but I preferred aunty’s recipe – very simple and very flavourful.
Bhuni Urad Daal
Preparation: 10 mins (+soaking time)| Cooking Time: 30 mins| Serves 4
1 cup white urad daal, washed and soaked for 1 hour
2 onions, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
4-5 black peppercorns
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsps ghee/ oil
Juice of 1 lemon
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Heat ghee in a kadhai
Once the ghee is hot, add onions, sauté until they start to brown
Add green chillies and ginger. Sauté for 2-3 mins
Add all the spices and mix well
Drain the daal and add it to the kadhai. Mix well and sauté for 5 mins
Add just enough water (about 1½ cup) to cover the top of daal with a thin layer and cook covered on low flame till the daal is soft and the water has dried. Depending on your liking you can keep some water so that the daal is not very dry.
Drizzle lemon juice, mix well.
Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green chillies and fresh coriander leaves.
Serve hot with chapatis or paranthas.
Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking. The fact that dear husband is a foodie and an honest critique helps! I blog about my adventures in the kitchen at http://www.myweekendkitchen.in