Dine under water at this unique restaurant in Ahmedabad

Though there are many sea-themed restaurants in the country, The Real Poseidon in Ahmedabad might just be India's first underwater restaurant.

Written by Lakshmi Ajay | Ahmedabad | Updated: February 1, 2016 3:01 pm
unique restaurants, underwater restaurants, the real poseidon, bharat bhatt, weird restaurants, unique restaurants in india The Real Poseidon’s dining area is 20ft below ground level and has 32 covers. (Source: Express photo by Javed Raja)

February will see Amdavadis have a new place to dock their palates, with an underwater restaurant making its way into the city’s culinary landscape. Or should someone say, waterscape?

Opening on February 1, in the South Bopal area, the unique restaurant has already garnered 150-odd bookings for the opening day through radio, online and print promotions.

Also see: First look — A unique underwater-themed restaurant in Ahmedabad

Called The Real Poseidon, the dining area has been created 20ft below ground level and is run by Ahmedabad-based businessman Bharat Bhatt, who owns an engineering unit and is also into construction. “I had been part of building a restaurant back in 2004-05 and had been toying with this idea to float a restaurant with a novel concept since several years. Once we decided on this concept and we were sure it could be done, we started work on it,” says Bhatt.

Plush with 150,000 litres of water that is revitalised with a filtration tank on the 3,000 sq. ft property, the restaurant features around 4,000 fish and marine species sourced from local markets in Ahmedabad, Rajkot and Vadodara. For those concerned about the available dishes at the restaurant (read: eating seafood while being surrounded by fish), then worry not. The multicuisine, 32-seater restaurant does offer Punjabi, Thai, Chinese and Mexican fare, but it’s all vegetarian.

Also see: Water, water everywhere — 10 underwater-themed restaurants in the world

While the concept and design took several months to finalise, Bhatt spent a whopping Rs 2 crore on the construction, which took two years.

“Guests need only take the stairs down to a tunnel-based dining hall of 1,200 sq ft, where they can dine while enjoying the view. While there could be aquarium-based restaurants in Surat, we feel this is the first underwater restaurant in the city,” says Bhatt who runs the The Real Poseidon with his wife Varsha.

The duo is also planning a live orchestra/band for their diners’ entertainment in the near future.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

Angry
    Jan 31, 2016 at 7:59 pm
    rip off!!! Disgrace, cold food bad service!! Looting basically!!
      asd
      Feb 1, 2016 at 10:11 am
      asdkjhaksjdhasd
      1. N
        Nisha
        Feb 2, 2016 at 6:09 pm
        Wowww wonderful restaurant. ..I have full enjoy ...Live music...Live dance with my husband...little place bt more enjoyable place...kuch person the jo restaurant ko badnam karne ke liya mouke me the...new thems hai hum public ko cooperate karna chahiya..ok I know some mistakes hai..bt ye nehi ki India ke new theme restaurant ko aage jaane naa de...Haame proud karna chahiye..hum Indian bhi kisise kam nehi ... heartly congratulations BHARATBHAI hum Indian apke sath hai....apke sath cooperate karenge..
        1. J
          jatin
          Feb 2, 2016 at 9:06 am
          please give me you direct restaurant no. so that I can booked my table in time.I want to eat at night.after 8.00 pm.please do the needful.
          1. J
            javanika
            Feb 1, 2016 at 11:34 am
            give me addresh
              Manu
              Feb 1, 2016 at 11:23 am
              too early to say...It opens Feb 1
              1. V
                vishal
                Feb 3, 2016 at 7:29 am
                I need contact numbar or address ...Please any have ?
                1. V
                  vishal parmar
                  Feb 2, 2016 at 5:01 pm
                  Nice
                    AARTI RAICHURA
                    Feb 1, 2016 at 7:07 pm
                    Real Poseidon... A Truly Frustrating Experience... India's first Underwater Restaurant in Ahmedabad, excitement everywhere... Bookings only through Web with a particularly allotted time-slot only, that too prepaid ! Dear Food Lovers, As one of the many excited food lovers, I had booked my meal on the very first day of the Restaurant, Slot 8:00pm to 9:00pm, Table # 1, paying Rs. 1,099/- in advance. 1] Real Poseidon on Google Map is actually 1.1 Kms away from the actual location, and the managers tell that to be Google's Mistake! Roaming on and on and on, I finally reached venue at 07:55 pm, remember, I had left so early from office and was finding the venue for approx 20 mnts nearby only. 2] The Only Contact Number given on website ( 919824044404) was switched off while I tried it 7 times to get help to reach the venue. 3] On my reaching the venue, I was asked to wait and I also waited patiently like other 8pm slot customers considering it is the first day, there could be some here and there for a few minutes. But, the Minutes count converted in Hours, they started calling 8pm Customers at approx. 09:10 pm and then suddenly, there was a big pause as the capacity got full at 09:15 pm without accomodating all the 8pm Customers!!! Many of the 9pm Customers had also arrived. On enquiring, we got to know that we will not be allotted table until the current slot (which entered at 09:15 pm) finishes off the dinner. We were constantly then told that there is some net booking issue and hence the double bookings have taken place. Managers did not have courtesy even to inform this to us by themselves. We on getting frustrated waiting since 8pm, enquired at 9:15pm and then got to listen so many unconvincing explanations. Now there were so many customers waiting for their turn, both 8pm slot and 9pm slot. There were some customers having their Wedding Anniversary, some with the little Birthday Boy/Girl, they all had to go back without having the food or even without getting a look at the so-called India's First Underwater Ambiance. I was also one of those customers. Pity is that the so-called managers did not have the courtesy to pay attention to the poor customers' grievances even. In one word, it was a FLOP SHOW atleast on Very First Day by Team Red Poseidon. Regards, One Highly Disappointed Customer
                      sarfraz shaikh