By Chef Anirban Sinha
Potato and Asparagus Soup with Bacon Rashers
Makes 4 servings
Start to Finish: 30 mins
Fresh asparagus spears, trimmed (400gms)
Potatoes, peeled and chopped (1/2-inch pieces or smaller) (400 gms)
Salt (½ teaspoon)
Ground black pepper (½ teaspoon)
Water (1 ¼ cup)
Slice bacon (6 no)
Honey (1 teaspoon)
Butter (50 Gms)
Garlic chopped (50gms)
Bread roll (soft) 6 no
* Reserve about one-third of the asparagus.
* Combine remaining asparagus, potatoes, evaporated milk, salt, pepper, and the water in a saucepan.
* Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
* Cool slightly. In a blender or food processor, blend or process soup, half at a time, until smooth.
* Meanwhile, in a skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels; set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in skillet. Add reserved asparagus spears to the drippings in skillet. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
* Coarsely chop bacon and place in a microwave-safe pie plate. Drizzle bacon with honey; cover with vented plastic wrap. Just before serving, microcook on 100 percent power (high) for 30 seconds.
* To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with asparagus, bacon mixture, and, if desired, toppings.
* For garlic butter soften the butter first and then add chopped garlic and parsley in to it.
* For the bread rolls slice them length wise and then toast under salamander and apply garlic butter on it.
(Creamy Potato and Asparagus Soup)
356 kcal cal.,
15 g fat
(7 g sat. fat,
1 g polyunsaturated fat,
6 g monounsatured fat),
41 mg chol.,
673 mg sodium,
43 g carb.,
4 g fiber,
17 g sugar,
15 g pro.
(Per cent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet)
About the chef
Chef Anirban Sinha
Sous Chef, The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata
With an experience of over 11 years, Chef Anirban Sinha specialises in Western, Scandinavian and Italian cuisine. His passion for food has made him one of the renowned chefs of our country. His flavours are an inspiration from his learning from all over India and the world, having worked with brands like Leela Palace, Hilton Golden Palm Resort, Royal Caribbean International and Carnival Cruise Line in America.
This weekly series comes in association with The Lalit Suri Hospitality Group. (An enterprise of Bharat Hotels Limited)