In countries like the US and UK, the countdown to Christmas is almost as important a ritual as celebrating Christmas itself. Which is probably what led to the invention of special calendars that lead up to December 25 – called Advent calendars. And as a reward for the patience that’s required to wait out this entire period, there’s a treat a day!
So what are Advent calendars exactly? Well, it’s a calendar with flaps for every date leading up to the big day. The dates have little flaps/doors that open up to reveal a story about Jesus, or an image or poem or story to tide people till Christmas Eve, but over the years people started inserting a hidden treat under the flaps to make the wait worth your while. This proved a huge success among kids. Traditionally, these treats have actually been chocolates to satiate little children who wouldn’t want to wait up till Christmas for their presents, but of late, people have been exploring the idea of a delicious alternative – and what better option than cheese!
A London-based food blogger Annem Hobson, who couldn’t find a cheese advent calendar, took upon the task herself. Hobson says she often wondered why no cheese variant for the calendar was available and found that many others like her were craving for some cheesy fun. So, in all excitement she literally invented world’s first cheese advent calendar and people could not thank her enough.
The blogger was also kind enough to share the DIY instructions for fellow enthusiasts to make it for their own. She made a Christmas calendar with cheese rewards and was an instant hit the world over. Seeing people so overtly excited she has also started taking orders. But sadly, people have to wait for 2017! Yes, it’s an unfair cheesy affair. But for excited foodies you can visit her blog So Wrong It’s Nom and find the detailed steps if you can’t wait any longer.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
— So Wrong It’s Nom (@SoWrongItsNom) December 1, 2016
As for Hobson, she confirms that more than 6,000 people have already registered on the website Cheese Advent Calendar. She has been looking for suppliers and manufacturers who would help her to fulfil this dream.
And guess what, you can use this countdown calendar any time of the year.