When it comes to Bengali food, seafood is an integral part. It is said that no meal is complete without maach (fish) in any Bengali household. Their love for maach can be attributed to the abundant variety of freshwater fish and also salt-water fish available, as the community is mainly based around the coastal regions of Bay of Bengal. Simple recipes made with available ingredients around the region makes the cuisine seafood-heavy.
From leaves of plants such as banana and pumpkin to coconut nothing really escapes from the menu of authentic Bengali meal infused with fish. Though not technically a fish, prawns are relished by the community and what better way to taste a prawn dish than to have ‘Chingri Macher Malai’ Curry (prawns cooked in coconut milk).
So, try this easy and authentic recipe provided by Executive Chef Raheel Ahmad of JW Marriott, Kolkata today and tantalise your taste buds!
Preparation time: 30 mins | Serves: 2
200g – Prawns (Chingri)
1 tsp – Turmeric powder
1 tsp – Cumin seeds
1 tsp – Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder
1 tbsp – Cumin powder
2 tsp – Ginger paste
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp – Scraped coconut
1 tsp – Sugar
4 tbsp –Mustard oil
4 – Green chilies
* Place prawns in a bowl. Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix and let them marinate for 15 minutes.
* Place three-fourth cup coconut in a mixer jar. Add half cup of hot water and grind. Place a muslin cloth over a bowl and empty the coconut over it. Gather the edges of the cloth and squeeze tightly to extract thick coconut milk.
* Heat 3 tbsp mustard oil in a non-stick pan. Add prawns and sauté for 1 minute. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
* Slit green chilies. Add the remaining mustard oil to the same pan and heat. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cover the pan and allow the seeds to splutter.
* Add green chilies, prawns, coconut milk and cook on medium heat for half a minute. Add chili powder, cumin powder, sugar and ginger paste and mix. Cook till the prawns are done.
* Garnish with remaining scraped coconut and serve hot.
For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App nowFirst Published on: November 27, 2016 10:22 pm