Weight loss tips: Focus on quality of food and not quantity

Instead, of avoiding favourite foods, weight gain could be prevented early on by learning to listen to inner cues and putting emphasis on the quality.

By: IANS | New York | Updated: February 11, 2016 4:48 pm
Eat healthy to stay fit. (Photo: Thinkstock) Eat healthy to stay fit. (Photo: Thinkstock)

Have you come across a few people who never seem to worry about weight and yet manage to stay slim? One secret that works behind their seeming effortlessness may actually be a sharp focus on the quality of food that they eat, suggests new research.

“These results are encouraging because they imply that instead of putting restrictions on one’s diet and avoiding favourite foods, weight gain could be prevented early on by learning to listen to inner cues and putting emphasis on the quality instead of the quantity of food,” said lead researcher Anna-Leena Vuorinen from the University of Tempere in Finland.

(Also read: Diet and workout tips to stay fit in your 20s)

You know that one friend who never worries about weight and seems to stay effortlessly slim? That friend, and others like him might unknowingly possess secrets to helping those who struggle with their weight.

The findings are based on Global Healthy Weight Registry that surveyed adults who have successfully maintained a healthy body weight throughout their lives.

The registry was created by Cornell Food and Brand Lab of Cornell University in the US.

Those who voluntarily signed up for the registry answered a series of questions about diet, exercise and daily routines.

(Also read: A cup of coffee may help you stick to your fitness regime: Study)

The researchers then divided the respondents into two groups. Group one, the mindlessly slim, consisted of 112 adults who reported that they did not maintain strict diets.

The other group consisted of those who dieted regularly, thought about food frequently and were highly conscious of what they ate.

After comparing the responses from each group, the researchers found that mindlessly slim individuals were more likely to use strategies that differ from traditional recommendations for weight loss or maintenance.

These strategies include eating high-quality foods, cooking at home and listening to inner cues in order to stay slim.

Also they did not indicate feeling as guilty as the other group about overeating.

Furthermore, mindlessly slim people were more likely to have an enjoyment-based, internally informed approach to food and eating, the study found.

The findings were presented recently at the annual scientific meeting of The Obesity Society in Los Angeles, US.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

Poonam Jaiswal
    Jan 23, 2017 at 4:45 am
    My weight is 75kg. Please give me weight loss tips.
    1. B
      bibilanni
      Feb 4, 2017 at 11:29 am
      I’ve lost 5 kilos in my first week. I followed the diet with some protein as suggested. It is really like magic! It works. I’m not perfectly following the listed diet plan mostly), but the weight looses even on very little exercise. Give a try on this, this diet plan clearly works.
        Donna Mcissac
        Feb 11, 2016 at 10:35 pm
        All fats are not bad. You need fat to survive. there are good and bad fats though and knowing which ones to eat and to avoid can help with making better diet choices. Try to avoid or minimize intake of saturated and trans fats. Try to eat more good fats like monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. h t t p : / /truehealthreport. com/lose-stomach-fat
        1. C
          Curney Parker
          Feb 11, 2016 at 6:40 pm
          Hey, guys. I've been following a 3 week program used by elite body builders, celebrities and fitness gurus. It forces your body to melt away 1 to 2 pounds of body fat every single day for the first seven days, and then 3/4 lb. to 1 lb. every day for the next two weeks. THESE RESULTS ARE TYPICAL! Comes with Introduction Manual, Diet Manual, Workout Manual, and Mindset and Emotional manual. I've lost 23 lbs. in 21 days! Here's my secret:
          1. C
            Cristian Andrei
            Feb 11, 2016 at 6:14 pm
            A good diet and exercise is essential for losing weight and keeping healthy. It's hard for older people to lose weight because most weight loss programs on the market are aimed at people aged below 40. I know a fitness program that was made for people aged over 40, it will help you achieve some great weight loss results and give you a well toned physique. It accounts for the physical limitations of the body for people in that age group. The program is designed to help users achieve specific fitness goals such as weight loss, body toning, or muscle gain. Your current fitness levels will determine how far you can go, but generally, the exercises included in the guide are within the capability of the target age group. Read more about it here:
            1. N
              Nat Stclair
              Feb 19, 2016 at 2:46 am
              I agree, since I reduced my fastfood and bad foods I feel amazing but I have to pay attention to my daily calories or I gain weight.. but I dont starve myself! '' Have you heard of the por Paleo Diet?? I've lost 10 pounds in 22 days and feel better than ever! You should start too: ''
              1. H
                Hillary
                Feb 11, 2016 at 10:12 pm
                Very very accurate article... focus on quality; not quany of food.
                  shiragiselle
                  Mar 31, 2016 at 6:11 am
                  I searched about it for long days, Now only, I have come to know for good one. Its working for both men and women. I suggest that I burnt my 33Lbs Exactly 42 days routine simple workout and food. Its really awesome one!!! No words to say about it. Most of the people deceving in many sites to cure fat, Apart from that, I got this link and I followed this.. Exact one h t t p :/ / w w w . southseller . com/burn-fat