IN THE decade since the inception of their label AM:PM, designer couple Ankur and Priyanka Modi have taken their penchant for subtle prints, clean silhouettes and modern colour stories and created a brand synonymous with the words “contemporary” and “understated”. It’s this predilection for understatement that has seen their second retail outpost in Mumbai — at Palladium Mall, Lower Parel — open with next to no fanfare. We spoke to the dynamic duo about their fourth standalone store and taking their label online. Edited excerpts:
Who, according to you, is the AM:PM woman?
Priyanka: A woman of substance, who wants to establish her presence effortlessly and discreetly. An elegant and sophisticated woman who plays more than one role in life, and wants to go through her day wearing something fashionable, yet appropriate.
With one store at D7 in Khar, is the Palladium store designed to tap into a wider Mumbai market?
Ankur: AM:PM opened its first store in Mumbai at D7 nearly three years ago. Located in the tony suburb of Khar (West), it has consistently seen a growing clientele, which includes repeat and new customers, visiting NRIs and a surging number of women who aspire to buy and wear luxury designer clothing. But due to Mumbai being spread out in a certain way, we noticed a lot of potential customers, who are based in South Mumbai, didn’t want to make the trip to the suburbs. Hence, we decided to open at Palladium, which is centrally located and eases customer access.
Will the collections on offer in Delhi and Mumbai differ in any way?
Priyanka: AM:PM retails its entire collection at all its standalone stores, and hence the collections in both cities will be the same. This is to make sure that any customer walking into an AM:PM store does not miss out on any of our designs.
And what can we expect in terms of accessories?
Ankur: We’ve been doing very well with the line of scarves that we’ve done over the last couple of seasons. We’ll continue to retail them from Palladium too.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Having recently launched an e-commerce website, do you believe online is the future of retail?
Priyanka: Through our website AMPM.in, customers from over 170 countries can shop online and get our designs delivered to their doorstep. We definitely believe that in a world where time and space are fast becoming a luxury, online retail is where the future lies. The web store will cater to women around the world, who can shop for an aesthetic they desire, which isn’t easily available in their neighborhood, from the comfort of their homes.