Indian jewellery designers are making their presence felt on the auction scene. Here’s taking a look at what’s going under the hammer:
Up for bidding today at an auction by Sotheby’s will be the Spectacular Diamond Necklace by jeweller Nirav Modi. This one-of-a-kind creation, to be auctioned in Hong Kong, has a reserve price of Rs 50 crore. Modi, a well-regarded name on the auction circuit and known for his penchant for high-quality and high-value diamonds, is hoping to break some records. Mounted in platinum, with 17 Type IIa brilliant-cut diamonds, with D-IF colour clarity, “excellent” grading in cut, polish and symmetry and weighing 85.33 carats, this necklace promises to be quite the dazzler. “Rare and exceptional diamonds have always been at the heart of Nirav Modi creations. This jewel is another stellar example of this trait,” says Modi, in the concept note describing the neck piece that involved at least 300 man hours to create.
JEWELS FOR A CAUSE
When jewellery designer Mira Gulati, founder and principal designer, Mirari, heard of Project Blossoming, she knew she had to be a part of it. The project is a philanthropic partnership by Gemfields, a leading supplier of coloured gemstones, with the NGO Nanhi Kali to support the cause of girl child education. Apart from Mirari, Gemfields has roped in nine leading jewellery designers to create collections that will be auctioned by Christie’s in Mumbai on June 6 to raise funds for Nanhi Kali. The line-up includes Amrapali (Jaipur), Hazoorilal (Delhi), Tibarumals Jewellers (Hyderabad), Talwarsons (Chandigarh), Moksh (Mumbai), Narayan Jewellers (Baroda), Lala Jugal Kishore Jewellers (Lucknow), Anmol Jewellers (Mumbai) and Abaran (Bangalore).
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
Inspired by the meaning of Nanhi Kali, Gulati, for instance, has created “Cherry Blossom”, a collection of a necklace and earrings. “Cherry blossom flowers, an important part of Japanese art and culture, mark the arrival of new beginnings and represent hope. Our contribution comes with a similar idea for the cause,” says Gulati.