Queen of Dark: This 24-year-old South Sudanese model is as bold as she is beautiful

Nyakim Gatwech's self-confidence is refreshing, especially at a time when people have major body image issues.

By: Lifestyle Desk | New Delhi | Updated: June 1, 2017 5:38 pm
Nyakim Gatwech Nyakim Gatwech is a 24-year-old South Sudanese model. (Source: Instagram/queenkim_nyakim, iamtberry)

In an age where people are going after skin brightening and whitening creams, this South Sudanese model is embracing her dark complexion with pride. Her moonshine dark skin has earned her the nickname ‘Queen of Dark’ and it just goes to prove that beauty comes in all shades.

Twenty-four-year-old Nyakim Gatwech is as strong as is she beautiful. The model, who now lives in Minneapolis, is on a journey to promote skin positivity and self-acceptance. Along with her gorgeous photos, which she shares with her 89,000-plus followers on Instagram, she also sends out inspirational messages, especially to women who are struggling to be comfortable in their own skin.

Earlier this year, Gatwech took to Instagram to share her conversation with an Uber driver who asked the model if she would ever consider bleaching her skin. “I was (asked by) my Uber driver the other day, he said, ‘Don’t take this offensive but if you were given 10 thousand dollars would you bleach your skin for that amount?’”, she wrote on Instagram.

The dark beauty just laughed it off. She said, “I couldn’t even respond I started laughing so hard. (Then) he said, ‘So that a no’ and I was like hell to the f*king yeah [that’s] no. Why on earth would I ever bleach this beautiful melanin God [blessed] me with. (Then) he said so you look at it as a blessing? You won’t believe the kind of questions I get and the kind of looks I get for having this skin.”

People even went ahead to ask her why is it that she is so dark, but Gatwech took it with a pinch of salt. One of her Instagram posts read, “Some people stay Snapping me asking me why am I so dark? How on earth they expect me to answer that question? Beside the fact that I’m bless with melanin and I love all this darkness.”

Her self-confidence is refreshing, especially at a time when people have major body image issues. These words of hers are really inspirational, “My skin absorbs the suns rays and my hair defies gravity. Now you can’t tell me I’m not magical!”

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. J
    Jeanette Alexander
    Jul 18, 2017 at 5:51 am
    She's STUNNING!!!!I am so happy that she has what it takes - SELF LOVE SELF CONFIDENCE ! !! IT IS TRULY A BLESSING THAT NO ONE CAN TAKE OR CHANGE. TWO THUMBS UP 👍👍
    1. F
      FireWater
      Jul 13, 2017 at 10:21 am
      Jaw dropping. Plain and simple. America is an amazing cultural melting pot, and there are so many amazing things about that. If you wanna talk aesthetic beauty, there are thousands of ways people can be beautiful mixing the best traits of different ethnicities. But ... it kinda means you never see people who look like this, and that's a shame.
        Krishna Kant Singh
        Jul 4, 2017 at 4:24 pm
        Yes, she is refreshing. She is symbol of anti apartheid, anti discrimination, anti racism. But same time she is not a symbol of anti capitalism, the base of all evils, base of all discrimination!
          sus
          Jun 4, 2017 at 9:44 pm
          she has glow in her face... she is really a queen of dark.. just wow
          1. H
            Humanbeing
            Jun 2, 2017 at 9:45 pm
            Never seen such a black beauty anytime. Awesome.
            1. B
              Baloch
              Jun 2, 2017 at 12:47 pm
              Hi Blackies Indians, you will be fee really proud. After all, she belongs to your own tribe.
                pk
                Jun 2, 2017 at 5:02 pm
                Hey buddy, what planet are you from? Your English is really funny.. :)
                1. H
                  Humanbeing
                  Jun 2, 2017 at 9:44 pm
                  Sure she belongs to my tribe / my classic tribe/ my regent tribe / my super cultured tribe. Hence the confidence she got. Why dont you give your real name - are all people in your tribe so inferior and cowards?
                    Shehijapattam@gmail.com
                    Jun 4, 2017 at 12:16 am
                    Hey baloch,are you crazy dont make comments witout reading the caption she is south sudanese model not indian.sudan is too far from india even from a different continent.still i respect her as a bold women,and warn you not to make silly coments on indians
                  2. N
                    Nishant
                    Jun 2, 2017 at 7:23 am
                    These women are too beautiful. God must have created them in free time. Similar beauties from South India are not lesser, and they are very smart too. Unfortunately in India, even many women think dark colour as less beautiful. The trick is to do a matching makeup and vibrant colour combination.
                      secure
                      Jun 2, 2017 at 11:02 am
                      Even RSS members also thinks that south Indian are black community.
                        Rajesh Patel
                        Jun 2, 2017 at 11:41 am
                        You dumbest moron, where do you find RSS mentioned in the article just for the sake of commenting on some subject people like you will put out some . It seems you belong to lam.
                          pk
                          Jun 2, 2017 at 5:06 pm
                          Desperate to take idiocy to a new high..
                            Dalit
                            Jun 2, 2017 at 6:11 pm
                            These detestable brown monkeys of rss from north india have to differentiate from dark colored south indians to lend credence, in their own little minds, to their imaginary connection with white germans. Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, colors and races.
                          Susan