Earlier in April this year, Miss Delhi Priyadarshini Chatterjee was announced as the winner of FBB Femina Miss India World by Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan. This northeastern beauty gave tough competition to Bengaluru girl Sushruthi Krishna, who was the first runner up and Lucknow’s Pankhuri Gidwani, to win the title. With Miss World 2016 just around the corner, we are all excited to see how the event pans out. Ahead of the pageant, in an introductory video of Miss World 2016, Chatterjee says, “Representing a civilisation as old as time itself, the land of myriad cultures, traditions, languages and religions, I am very happy to be the first candidate from the Northeast of India to the Miss World Pageant.”
We are sure you will cheer for her but just in case you want to know more about her, here are five lesser-known facts about the lady:
* Priyadarshini Chatterjee’s been a fighter all her life. Time and again she has battled health problems and emerged victorious. As young as aged 9, she was diagnosed with intestinal strictures and had to be rushed to the hospital at the middle of the night. As a teenager, she constantly craved for a normal life without medical support.
* After completing her schooling in Guwahati, she moved to New Delhi where she is currently pursuing a degree in sociology from Hindu College. With a change in cities, she realised that she should overcome all her fears, inhibitions and work on her lack of confidence and she challenged herself by entering into the Miss India pageant. Today, she wears all her struggles as a badge of pride.
* She has immense respect for her parents and credits everything that she is today and will be, to them. Even though they separated when she was only four-years-old, she has always felt secure with the love that has come her way from both of them. Chatterjee says, “Living in different cities and living different lives, my parents never gave up on me and that’s probably why life has never given up on me.”
* She likes to travel and meet new people, learn about their culture and make friends. She is also fond of singing and dancing but she is the happiest when she is in the company of animals and dogs are her best friends. During an interview, she named Manish Malhotra and Shane Peacock as her favourite Indian designers.
* She strongly believes that we are all born with a purpose and as we grow up, we find out what that purpose is. Luckily for her, she discovered that she wanted to do something for her hometown, Guwahati. The lady says, “If I can bring the smallest of positive change in someone’s life, it would be my biggest achievement and I am hoping that being Miss World would provide me the platform to actually make a difference.”