If we said the number of people wearing his designs in the audience outnumbered the models on the ramp, it wouldn’t be an exaggeration. Manish Malhotra, Bollywood’s most-popular clothier, opened the Summer-Resort 2014 edition of Lakme Fashion Week with yet another collection that was quintessentially Malhotra.
With a soundtrack that opened to the strains of Anoushka Shankar’s sitar, Malhotra unfolded his collection ‘A Summer Affair’ in a routine reversal of sorts in colour schemes. Actor Sonakshi Sinha opened the show in navy blue and then the palette slowly wound down with grey, ecru, powder blue, ivory, beige and finally ended with a line of soft floral prints.
Most of the collection was tried, tested and perfected Malhotra fare — the trademark thread embroidery, floor-sweeping silhouettes, deep backs and flowing sheers we have come to expect of him — leading to a sense of deja vu mid-way through the show. You couldn’t fault us for mooning over the lace-covered jootis and kitten heels instead.
But a line of separates in floral prints, a first for the designer, proved to be a pleasant interlude. What really caught our attention though was Malhotra’s nod to the sportswear trend with visible zipper detailing and his slouchy pleated full-length skirts and wide palazzos with pockets. We couldn’t help wishing for more of the same.
The menswear collection was sharp, with stitch detailing on jodhpurs, fitted shirt kurtas and ankle-skimming pants, though the tone-on-tone embroidery and floral jackets were a tad reminiscent of Sabyasachi Mukherjee’s fall line. All in all, the summer bower that the ramp was transformed into for Malhotra’s presentation could have definitely done with an ebullient shot of sunshine.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
by Kimi Dangor