Never before has maternity style been so scrutinised and discussed in Indian fashion circles as it has been ever since Kareena Kapoor Khan got pregnant. Gone are the days when Indian celebrities would go underground when pregnant, only to emerge once the baby has been delivered and the excess weight either shed or embraced.
Now, and especially this past one year, celebrities such as Genelia Deshmukh, Arpita Khan and Mira Rajput have all done a swell job of having fun with maternity-wear, while making sure they look chic and sophisticated at the same time. Their natural glow, amply complemented with latest cuts and styles, silhouettes that flatter, and fabrics that are both comfortable and interesting at the same time. But without raining on their absolutely trendy style statement, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that when a certain Kareena Kapoor Khan entered the arena of stylish pregnant celebrities, the fashion quotient just went through the roof.
Not one to stop work or take it easy just because she’s pregnant, Kareena didn’t only stand in line with today’s women who can and do balance everything in life, but she looked absolutely smashing doing it too. If we look back, her sartorial choices have mostly being on point with smart maxis, flowing ankle-length shrugs, embellished gowns, denims, edgy kurtas and flowy palazzos. From dresses to pants to gowns, Kareena has donned it all with élan, and we haven’t even gotten to that breathtaking showstopping ensemble by Sabysachi Mukherjee for the finale of the Lakme Fashion Week Winter Festive 2016.
So, here’s a look at some style tips that we can glean from the mommy-to-be’s public appearances.
1. Go floral, go flowy: One of the main tricks to styling yourself while pregnant is to opt for high empire waistlines and flowing fabrics. Kareena wore this green floral sari drape maxi dress by Sabyasachi just before stunning us all as the showstopper for the LFW finale. What works here is the sari-style draping and the moving fabric, both of which not only make sure the person wearing it is comfortable but the changing pleats also break eye-movement. She paired the dress with a multi-strand beaded necklace by Krishna Das, which amps up the dressiness of the look. Basically, don’t shy from going bold with accessories.
2. When going ethnic, opt for palazzos to match your kurtas: Shararas and palazzos are anyway in these days, so instead of option for constricting churidars and salwars, palazzos or even lehengas/skirts paired with your kurta can give a great look. Make sure the bodice is a bit fitted, and the cut a loose A-line, which would be a great silhouette for you.
3. Max out the off-shoulder look: These two off-shoulder dresses are a great example of how to show some skin, keep it breezy and look super-cute at all times. The powder blue off-shoulder H&M dress paired with those silver Steve Maddens and jewellery by Valliyan and Deepa Gurnani really played in Kareena’s favour. On the other hand, the baby pink off-shoulder maxi-dress custom made by Swapnil Shinde was equally cute, but the length of the dress and the flowy material gave the look a sophistication that could almost make it semi-formal.
4. Black ‘n’ sophisticated: Now, we know the colour black anyway has a slimming effect. These two very different styles look great on the mom-to-be, as she works this spiked-out black Philipp Plein (left) and the very going-to-brunch-with-my-girls black chic dress with a long jacket with equal amounts edge and elegance.
5. Comfort is your best friend: In a recent interview with a daily newspaper, Kareena shared, “Well I think it’s all about wearing things that you are comfortable in, I have always done that – something that represents your personality. Yeah, I hope to keep up the maternity style as long as I look good in it.” And that is why this look is important. For casual outings, wear a comfortable pair of pants, team it with practical sneakers – and you can splash that with a bit of colour and don’t be afraid to wear either something fitted or a workman’s denim shirt. As long as you’re comfortable, you will look great!
6. Casual chic: Kareena pulls off the casual chic look with these two outfits. While the white dress cinches at the waist a bit with that cute bow-belt, giving her body a nice silhouette, the blue maxi-dress looks super comfy, but those semi-bell sleeves complement the fall of the dress, while eliminating the possible-dowdiness that this ensemble could have exuded.
7. Kareena Kapoor Khan in the Sabyasachi Illuminate showstopper ensemble. Enough said!
Which of these looks is your favourite? Tell us in the comments below.