At a gala event in Las Vegas, US, Indonesia’s Ariska Putri Pertiwi won the crown of Miss Grand International 2016, defeating 74 other contestants from across the world. Pertiwi is the first Indonesian to win the pageant, which is in its fourth year. This year, Miss Philippines was the first runner-up, followed by Miss Thailand, Miss Puerto Rico and Miss USA as the second, third and fourth runners-up. Miss Indonesia was also the winner of the Best National Costume.
The event, which was held on October 25, was a grand affair, with around eight countries making their debut this time – Aruba, The Bahamas, Iraq, Jamaica, Lithuania, Rwanda, Turkey and Uruguay. Miss India, Pankhuri Gidwani, who made headlines with her opulent Indian-heritage-inspired dress, unfortunately did not even make it to the Top 20, who were announced the previous evening.
Other winners of the sub-competitions at the event included Miss Bahamas, who won Best Swimsuit, Miss Korea – Miss Popularity, Miss Jamaica – Miss Social Media and Miss England – Miss Evening Gown.
Pertiwi takes over the reins from the outgoing Miss Grand International 2016 Clair Parker from Australia. Interestingly, Parker was actually the first runner-up of last year’s edition. The winner is expected to tour the globe, serving as the new ambassadress of Miss Grand International.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
One of the controversial points of the evening was when the Top 6 contestants were asked to choose between Trump and Clinton for help in stopping war and violence. Of the five, Miss Philippines Nicole Cordoves and Miss USA Michelle Leon chose Trump. Both were booed aggressively by the audience. Though, Cordoves’ reason for choosing Trump – to get him on “our side” so that he would HAVE to fight the bad guys – did get the contestant some laughs.