Much before we lost Varun Bahl to the grand scale and dazzling lights of couture weeks and the menswear ministrations of his partnered label Karan Johar + Varun Bahl, the Delhi designer’s mainstay was a romantic, sometimes whimsical, diffusion line with a penchant for sequin sheathing, sheer play, floral motifs and intricate embroideries on quintessentially western silhouettes. A decade after he first showed at the then Lakme India Fashion Week and nearly four years since he showcased a women’s westernwear collection, Bahl made a return to the Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) Winter/Festive 2014 fold. The collection he showcased on Sunday was a diffusion line that was not only a distillate of the last 10 years, but also a review of his creative journey.
The silhouettes were modern, the cuts deceptively simple, yet the embellishments were intricate. Western silhouettes such as dresses, skirts, trousers, jackets and shirts wore opulent hand embroideries and a generous smattering of Bahl’s trademark sequins. Red, black and multi-coloured embroideries on neutral column dresses, peplum dresses and jackets reprised his love affair with florals, especially rosettes.
A dash of sportswear and tiny hints of androgyny popped up in the form of truncated track pants, tailored trousers, visible zippers, the plain white shirt and the coolest line of panelled biker jackets. We especially loved Bahl’s gota biker jacket, created with woven gota strips — essentially modern, yet with a pronounced Indian rift. Showstopper Priyanka Chopra’s gota and sequin combination biker jacket was particularly drool-worthy. While Bahl calls this particular outing a culmination of his “experiences and experiments on the runway”, we can only hope that such ruminations continue. Welcome back, Mr Bahl.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen