This designer gave a fitting reply to a troll who thought Sari ‘represents Hindu value’

"I did this hoping that everyone who follows my page understands what I stand for and realise that I will not tolerate any kind of discrimination, bullying, religious hatred, abusive and derogatory comments on my page," the designer said.

Written by Shreya Das | New Delhi | Updated: June 21, 2017 11:07 pm
hijab, saree, sari, hijab and sari, designer ayush kejriwal, fashion designer ayush kejriwal, ayush kejriwal hijab sari, sari hindu culture debate, The designer found him self in a fix when a user accused him of polluting Hindu Culture, a sari with a hijab. (Source: designerayushkejriwal/ Instagram)

When it comes to Indian wear, there’s nothing as beautiful as a sari. But do you think the six-yard wonder is limited to one particular country or religion? If you are baffled then read on.

UK-based designer Ayush Kejriwal, who is known for his opulent and colourful Indian ethnic wears and saris recently uploaded a picture of a model wearing a hijab along with a sari on Instagram. Posting the photo he wrote, “Hijabs are very stylish!”.

In his post, he even clarified that it was his first time working with a hijab and he did not intend to hurt anyone. But in an age where people are irked with almost everything, someone on social media took offense. Kejriwal found himself in a fix when a fellow Instagrammer accused him of polluting Hindu culture. A user wrote, “Don’t pollute our beautiful Hindu Culture with suppressive Islamic elements. Saree represent Hindu values. [SIC]”.

But Kejriwal decided to fight back. He not only replied to the ugly message but also posted a photo of the conversation and said that he will not tolerate any “discrimination, bullying, religious hatred, abusive and offensive comments.”

Talking exclusively to the IndianExpress.com, Kejriwal clarified why he decided to fight back. ” I have had some comments made in the past on other subjects, but I am good at ignoring such things. As an artist criticism does not bother me, though sometimes it’s important to fight back such prejudice and that’s exactly what I did in this instance,” he said in an email interview.

He strongly believes an artist goes about doing what they believe is right and are not here to adhere to rules. “They make their own,” he says.

He also believes that fashion can do more. he says, “It’s true that my page is centred towards clothes and styling but I feel style has a much bigger voice than it has been recognised. It can change the world by helping change mindsets.”

The post is now going viral, where most people are applauding the designer for taking a stance.

The user who tried to shame the designer has been blocked now. When asked what will he do if history repeats itself, the designer said, “I will challenge them once to deter them and hope that will help raise awareness. If that does not stop them I will have no choice but to block them!”

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. T
    tameem
    Jun 23, 2017 at 10:10 am
    I wear a hijab and I'm definitely not suppressed.Its both in my culture and religion ... Infact this is my freedom ...if forcing someone to wear a hijab is oppression so is not allowing someone to wear it,when they want to...RIP pseudo guardians of the culture.
    (0)(0)
    1. N
      Nikhil
      Jun 22, 2017 at 9:16 pm
      So much of commotion with a saree! Kuch bhi! Jinhe pehenna hai unhay samajhnay do ray Baba. Aadmi ko to nahi pehenna hai. 😂
      (0)(0)
      1. Purushottam Kulkarni
        Jun 22, 2017 at 8:57 pm
        Another aspect of this whole issue is that in indian sub continent the moral values are conservative and even in Hindus paresh system is there in rural india and this paresh system is prevalent in Hindus.these hindu women take a pappu over the head and their face is not seen by anybody.
        (0)(0)
        1. Purushottam Kulkarni
          Jun 22, 2017 at 8:27 pm
          Actually the fact that people of india,pakistan and Bangla desh are having too much common and saree is one of them. Also one should not forget that people of indian subcontinent are Hindus and Hindus converted to islam. Present and past Bangla deshi pm are always seen in saree and that is good.
          (0)(0)
            arc
            Jun 22, 2017 at 7:48 pm
            Let's see what all we wear is Indian. Shirt? Nopes. Pants? Nopes. Pajamas? Certainly mid-eastern. Kurta? Nopes. Frocks of little girls? Not Indian at all. Salwar Kameez? Not Indian? Dupatta -- a derivative of hijab. Blouse? Nyet , no way Indian. Half pants that Mohan Bhagwat and Nitin Gadkari and other chaddis wear to show off their y legs to underage boys and girls? No way Indian. Coats and jackets? You must be kidding. Shoes? Western. So what's Indian? Just a piece of cloth for both men and women. And a small piece of uns ched cloth for women to cover their chests. Should all Indians specially us Hindus take to wearing our original dress? Yes but let the chaddis show the way. Vomit Hippo Shah, Fekundra Liar Modi, Moron Bhagwat should all wear an unstiched piece of cloth, not a welcome sight, agreed but someone must make a start. On the women side, Shℹtty Irani and MoooMa Bharti should wear the original vedic dress of just a loin cloth. They will look like fat cows.
            (0)(1)