Deepika Padukone’s 2016 MTV Europe Music Awards appearance has been labelled as “Bollywood blunder” by an international publication but Indian designers have supported the actress for choosing a Monisha Jaisingh ensemble.
The 30-year-old actress, who is set to make her Hollywood debut with Vin Diesel’s “xXx: Return of Xander Cage,” walked the red carpet in a look put together by Jaising and Shaleen Nathani.
She wore a thigh-high slit trail skirt, in military green and olive hues, which she teamed up with an embellished bodice and matching bomber jacket. Fringe earrings, a Balmain belt, Misho rings and black heels completed her look.
A British publication, which had earlier received flak for addressing Deepika as a “female companion” of Novak Djokovic, featured her in their ‘Worst Dressed Celebs’, calling her a ‘Bollywood Blunder.’
However, Indian designers like Ritu Beri, Rina Dhaka, Anju Modi and Payal Singhal, who have dressed Deepika, said though there were too many elements in her look, it cannot be called a fashion faux pas.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Beri dismissed the criticism, saying Deepika is an “epitome of style”.
“Deepika is the epitome of style. She has inherent grace and elegance which she carries with her to every look she adorns. I absolutely loved her ensemble and especially the creativity with which she put it together,” said Beri.
Modi, who has designed Deepika’s look in “Ram Leela” and “Bajirao Mastani”, said the actress always looks elegant.
“She can wear a sack, or an international designer or an Indian designer and look great as always. I liked what she was wearing. And they (international media) should understand the Indian sensibility. It is great that Deepika decided to wear an Indian designer,” Modi told PTI.
Dhaka said though the look was “excessive”, she loved the skirt and the bold slit.
“The top, however, I felt was a bit overpowering. It was an excessive look for me with the strong eye make-up, strong shoulders, accessories. We are used to seeing her like that here. May be it was a bit too much for the international press. But definitely the look was not a blunder,” she said.
Singhal said she liked that Deepika decided to wear an Indian designer for her maiden award red carpet outing even
though it was “a bit overdone”.
“I have worked with Deepika and her stylist before and I think it was just a one off moment for them and she will make a striking appearance soon. I liked that she decided to wear an Indian designer but I feel that it was a bit overdone with belt, earrings and jacket.
“The criticism should be either taken in a positive stride or should be ignored completely. When you are making an
appearance at an international platform where big names are coming, you try a lot and at times miss it and I guess this is what happened,” Singhal told PTI.
Jaisingh, in an Instagram post, had said she opted for military green because it is a functional and strong colour. “It has a tough, almost androgynous appeal for all of those women warriors out there. Deepika is unstoppable, fit and fierce; making a perfect muse for my Artemisia Gown.
The actress along with her “xXx” co-star Nina Dobrev presented the best video award to The Weeknd for “Starboy”.
Dobrev, Jourdan Dunn, Bebe Rexha and Winne Harlow were among the best dressed at the event. “xXx: Return of Xander Cage” will hit the theatres on January 20, 2017.