For children cotton and bamboo fabric has always been preferred due to comfort and lightness, says an expert.
Rajat Kapoor, expert, Poney, a children’s apparel retailer in Malaysia, has shared some of the best fabrics for children.
* Cotton and cotton blends: Cotton has always been a preferred fabric for every age group with a wide range of prints, textures and motifs. With its unique features and multipurpose approach, cotton has become a largely used fabric in garment manufacturing sector.
- Opt for Khadi cotton this bridal season
- Make way for cotton, say bye to denim this summer
- A chintz in the armour: The age-old print in contemporary fashion
- Chanderi dresses and customised jutis can work well as summer wedding style
- Muslin, linen cotton: Treat skin to summer fabrics
- Beat the heat with summer friendly fabrics
* Bamboo and bamboo blends: Bamboo fabric is very soft, often described as feeling like cashmere. This is because the bamboo fibre itself is naturally round and smooth without any chemical treatment. It can be worn directly to the skin due to no sharp spurs to irritate the skin due to its organic nature. Bamboo fibres are also quite long which means that there is less piling of the fabric than in the cheaper varieties of cotton. The softness and quality of the fabric itself seems to stand up to multiple washings.
* Rayon and rayon blends: Rayon and its blends are made of natural cellulose which is chemically processed to produce fibres. Its ability to absorb humidity makes it a perfect fabric for summer just like linen or cotton. Rayon should be dry cleaned due its shorter durability.
* Fine polyester and polyester blends: It is an ideal fabric for warm garments and soft accessories such as blankets, caps, mittens, and bibs.