It was a befitting start to the Spring-Summer 2017 edition of the Amazon India Fashion Week as 16 Indian designers showcased the power and pride of handloom. “Road to Chanderi” made a fine presentation of just how beautifully the silk-cotton textile takes to all kinds of silhouettes — be it tunics, layered skirts, fitted jackets, bustiers or cropped pants.
The show started with the screening of a short film on the town of Chanderi in Madhya Pradesh. Directed by designer Samant Chauhan with a voice-over by Congress leader Jyotiraditya M Scindia, the film packed in arresting visuals of not just the architectural heritage of the small town of Chanderi but the entire process of its weave. The weaver’s feet tapped on the blocks, perfectly synchronised with the beats of the background music. And on cue were the designer ensembles.
The show was divided into three segments and the first part saw designers Anita Dongre, Pero by Aneeth Arora, Divyam Mehta and Vaishali S make the best of Chanderi’s natural hues. In the hands of Mehta, Chanderi went Indo-Western with layered tunics, while Arora made the most of its lightness in flirty dresses accentuated by signature Pero embroideries. The sheer quality of Chanderi came out well in designs by Pratima Pandey and we loved the way Bodice styled the fabric in dresses with drop waists and culottes. Chauhan brought in the drama with asymmetrical hemlines and zippered jackets. Bringing a vibrant dash of colour were Akaaro by Gaurav Jai Gupta and Ka-Sha by Karishma Shahani Khan. Summing it all up was designer Sanjay Garg, who presented two saris from his label Raw Mango. The showstopper, Aditi Rao Hydari, was also dressed by Garg and looked regal in a black lehenga. The Chanderi piece came with delicate golden motifs and was teamed with a black blouse and sheer black dupatta with large floral bootis. With Day One off to a flying start, here’s hoping the rest of the week matches up.
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh