When dressing up for traditional Indian festivals, it’s quite easy to go over the top with colours, fabric, jewellery, et al. But times have changed and simplicity rules the day. Don’t believe us? Let your favourite celebrities set an example. We trolled Instagram to figure out the kind of festive wear Bollywood’s favourite women are sporting these days, and here are our favourites.
Karishma Tanna in a Payal Singh lehenga-choli
TV actress Karishma Tanna has really evolved as a fashionista over time. Remember that stunning grey ensemble she wore at a jewellery store launch at the Capital? Well, recently we spotted a picture of hers sporting a beautiful grey and pink lehenga choli by designer Payal Singh. What worked was that the colours and embroidery on the outfit weren’t over-the-top festive. While the pink choli had bold, golden floral embroidery, the skirt in grey was simple yet artistic. The heavy dhupatta – matching the choli – was kept to one side, adding a flourish, but not too much. She chose polka jewellery from Shilpa Puri and SSoul to match with the ensemble. Statement rings and a single kangan kept the look clean yet dressy.
What we loved: The look has just the right amount if dressy festivity in it, without going over the top.
Malaika Arora Khan in Sionnah lehenga
There is no denying that Malaika Arora Khan can always pull off the svelte look to perfection, so when she was spotted at the Sionnah store launch in Mumbai wearing an ensemble from the design house’s pret couture line, we couldn’t help but nod our heads in approval. What this look presents is a slightly modern take – with the off-shoulder choli (a very a la Manish Malhotra from this time’s Lakme Fashion Week, no?) – and the waist-down emroidery on the skirt. Black has long been accepted in traditional festivities, so you can always add that oomph factor. Keeping it statement-simple, the chunky earrings are the only piece needed to highlight the look, and Arora Khan one played her high cheekbones keeping her hair tucked away in a high ponytail.
What we loved: Simple yet statement worthy. Bold designs and a clean look really work here.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in a Rohit Bal ensemble
A simple white piece when worn right can beat even the most stunning of dresses. And when it’s Aishwarya Rai Bachchan wearing a beautiful Rohit Bal long-kurta and skirt. The self-embroidered kurta with the flowing skirt looks elegant and fit for any formal gathering. Much like black, white as a colour has also been long-accepted in festive gatherings in India, giving a dash of sophistication that other colours rarely provide.
What we loved: The simplicity and regality of the colour and outfit. The idea of wearing a long kurta with a skirt also works well for those with a healthy body type.
Shilpa Shetty Kundra in an Anupama Dayal outfit
Again, it’s nigh impossible for the Cura Ke Dil Mera girl to go wrong with her sartotial choices, and this colourful top and skirt ensemble by designer Anupama Dayal is yet another proof. Styled by Sanjana Batra, Shetty Kundra plays it big with colour and funk with this piece, which is modern and fun, while fitting in perfectly with the festive vibe. A playful pair of earrings also add the glam factor.
What we loved: The colours! Nothing says festive more than a riot of colours, and here it’s done with so much fun!
Have something to add? Tell us in the comments below.