Is healthy, shiny hair like a dream to you? In an age of fast cars and even faster lives; dust, pollution, heat and most importantly, unhealthy lifestyle can leave your hair looking dull and lifeless. Now, you might not be able to change your lifestyle in an instant but you can surely pick up a few good habits to keep your tresses shiny and glowing.
The first step is to start paying close attention to how you treat your locks. The way you wash, dry and style your hair can seriously affect the health and appearance of your hair.
“Proper hair care is a must for any girl and can make your tresses look more beautiful, healthier and stronger. It also adds volume to your locks,” says Rakesh Kumar, Hair Stylist, Looks, New Delhi.
He further adds, “The most common hair care mistake seen in India is the use of excessive or strong shampoos, and rubbing shampoo so vigorously that leads to split ends.”
We bring you the top 10 hair mistakes you should stop making right away.
1) Over-washing: Over washing your hair with shampoo can often leave your hair dried out and can strip your scalp of natural oils. At most, wash your hair every other day or only twice a week.
2) Applying conditioner on the scalp: The biggest mistake which girls make is applying conditioner on the scalp. Doing so can actually clog your follicles and slow your hair growth. Apply conditioner only on the ends of your hair to keep it hydrated and protected against potential damage.
3) Intense towel drying: Intense towel drying can create a harsh friction against the hair cuticle which can lead to dull and frizzy hair. Instead of a towel, go for an old t-shirt that is made out of microfibre. Since it is much smoother, it is much better.
4) Using wrong size brush: Using all sorts of brushes for your hair? It’s time you stopped. Synthetic, plastic and metal brushes increase breakage and weakens your hair as they are not porous as natural brushes. Try using boar bristle brushes which are considered the best for getting shinier, healthier, stronger and smoother hair.
5) Combing wet hair: Your wet hair is not as strong as you think. Brushing wet hair stretches your strands and causes breakage. What’s worse is doing it vigorously as it can break the hair shafts leading to damaged and frizzy strands.
6) Practicing bad ponytail habits: This is a practice which most of us follow unconsciously in our daily life. Today, there are plenty of rubber bands available in the supermarket. And gathering your strands into those rubber bands can lead to breakage and split ends. Moreover, wearing your ponytail too high or in the same position daily is a bad practice. Avoid it.
7) Tying wet hair: Most of us do not realise it but the major cause of hair damage begins when you tie your wet/ semi-dry hair. Doing so can lead to major hair problems like hair loss, hair thinning and in extreme cases, baldness. In addition, it can lead to dandruff problems, lice and scalp infections.
8) Skipping heat protection: When it comes to hair, heat is one of the most damaging elements. If you can’t live without blow-drying, straightening or curling your hair, then start using a heat protective aid to shield and smoothen your frizzy, rough and dry hair. In addition, use an oil hair serum. It protects your hair from dandruff and fungal infections.
9) Using hot iron on wet hair: Hot iron and wet hair is a really bad combination. If you are making the mistake of straightening or curling your hair on wet hair, then please stop right away! Doing so can actually burn the follicles and lead to breakage.
10) Using hairspray before styling: Have you ever heard a sizzle sound while styling your hair? If yes, then this is because you applied a hairspray before straightening or curling your hair. Alcohol in hairsprays burn when it comes in contact with heat. Use hairspray only after your styling is done.