Eminent Bengali novelist Shaktipada Rajguru, many of whose works were adapted into Hindi and Bengali films like Amanush, Meghe Dhaka Tara and Barsat Ki Ek Raat, passed away today following age-related illness, family sources said.
He was 92 and is survived by two sons.
Rajguru had written more than a hundred novels and was a particular favourite with filmmakers till the eighties.
Ritwik Ghatak’s path-breaking Bengali film Meghe Dhaka Tara was based on his novel by the same name.
The 1975 film Amanush was based on another novel of his which was made both in Bengali and Hindi.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Directed by Shakti Samanta, the hit film starred Sharmila Tagore and Uttam Kumar.
In 1981, Samanta again adapted his novel Anushandhan into the Hindi film Barsaat Ki Ek Raat which starred Amitabh Bachchan and Raakhee.
The Bengali version of the film had retained its original name Anusandhan.
Born in 1922 in Bankura district, the writer was a recipient of the Bibhutibhushan award by the West Bengal government.
His works were translated into Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam.