If you’re a tourist and thinking of Italy, then the triad of Venice, Rome and Florence immediately comes to mind. But as many know, the city of canals has been slowly but steadily been sinking and now authorities are considering serious counter measures to make sure that can be stalled for as long as possible — and one such measure is the restriction of the number of tourists to the city.
The reason for the city sinking is not just the rising water levels because of global warming, but in addition, Venice also has had long had a problem of overcrowding, partly caused by the increased influx of cruise ships and small tourist boats that float into the harbor every day. So much so that in September, the hundreds of protesters in small boats and gondolas tried to prevent several cruise ships from docking in the bay.
According to media reports, Venice’s tourism councillor said they haven’t made a decision yet, but they are considering it.
Earlier this year in July, the United Nations announced that Venice would be placed under UNESCO’s list of endangered heritage sites unless the government took some stringent steps. “The government is studying a strategic plan for tourism with the aim of reducing the overcrowding of the most popular places and offering alternative destinations,” Dorina Bianchi, Italian deputy minister of culture, told La Stampa newspaper earlier this year.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest