At a time when the Swachh Bharat Mission is in full swing, the Union Ministry of Tourism has conferred the Cleanest Tourist Destination on the Sikkim capital.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi handed over the award in Delhi on September 30, an official release said. The Sikkim delegation participated in a workshop organised by the Urban Development and Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation for implementing the flagship programme, Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban and Gramin), at Vigyan Bhawan, in New Delhi.
The workshop was inaugurated by the PM Modi and attended by Union Ministers of the concerned departments, chief ministers of many states and ministers in-charge of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
The Sikkim delegation was led by Minister, UD and HD, NK Subba, Mayor GMC, PCE/Secretary – UD and HD, Municipal Commissioner, State Mission Directors (Urban and Gramin) , Officials and Panchayats, ADCs-Development Namchi and Gyalshing.
The delegates from Sikkim actively participated in the workshop, particularly in the technical session on Sanitation
Technologies, Solid-Liquid Waste Management, inclusive Sanitation and Role of IT and Technology in SBM.
A plenary session on inter-ministerial collaboration was also conducted. Gangtok city was also awarded the by the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India. The award was received by the Commissioner, GMC, from the Prime Minister.
There has been a focused approach to try and make most Indian tourist spots as clean and hygienic as possible. Not only has the drive to keep our surroundings clean limited to just home and hearth, but goes much beyond.
Chandigarh and Mysore were felicitated for ‘Clean Cities in million plus population category’ and Gangtok for ‘Cleanest Tourism Destination’.