Irish author and novelist Mike McCormack won an award by the Goldsmiths, University of London and a grant of £10,000. What makes this news interesting is that McCormack’s book the Solar Bones is a single line novel. Unbelievable, right? The entire book has been written by him in unbroken sentences.
“The work was praised for its remarkable narrative which unfolds in one unbroken sentence and as a formally innovative novel which is also a moving and compelling read,” the award website said.
The novel centres around an Irish man “Marcus Conway, a middle-aged engineer from the west of Ireland briefly returned from the dead on All Soul’s Day, November 2008.” Set over a time span of a single day and told in a first-person-account, it touches an array of issues – politics, art, life, marriage, environment among other things.
The award is also significant as McCormack became the third Irish national to win the award in its four-year journey. Speaking at the ceremony, the 51-year-old novelist said that his win was “payback” for the publishers and agent who had backed him during his “long and difficult adventure” as a writer, the website added.
Chair of Judges Professor Blake Morrison said that Mike McCormack’s Solar Bones is a “prose that’s lyrical yet firmly rooted.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Honouring readership he said, “Readers are smart” and they are up experimental books. He also urged other publishers to take up risks and support authors.
The Goldsmiths prize, launched in the year 2013, celebrates “fiction that breaks the mould or opens up new possibilities for the novel form”. Works by British authors and writers from Ireland are eligible for the prestigious award.