People in South India have recently been gifted a reason to rejoice by the Oxford English Dictionary. The dictionary updates its list four times in a year. In its latest in September, the OED has added some words that resonates with the reflex reaction of many Indians, specifically South Indians. Aiyoh recently found its place in the dictionary and giving it company is Aiyah.
Not just these, the list also contains words like filmi-geet, scrumdiddlyumptious, YOLO etc, to name a few. Now, it is important to understand that this is nothing short of an important bookmark in history for people who have gone “aiyoh!” in demanding situations. For those who don’t know what it means, the interjection is used to express amazement, shock and/or despair. Yes, that is why the word is probably so handy — it can be carefully moulded into conversations and used to express a variety of emotions. For instance, “Aiyoh, I did it again,” “Aiyoh, it is such a shame you could not meet her,” etc.
Aiyah is a similar interjection used by people who speak the South Indian languages. The word is also used to express similar emotions. For instance, “Aiyah! It is such a heart-breaking news,” or “Aiyah, we are going to be in so much trouble for this,” etc.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The OED was published by the Oxford University Press, more than hundred years ago. The second edition of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary contains entries for about 171,476 words that are in use currently.