Hate and prejudice are heavy burdens to put on our children; why not teach them to question?

Were the Mughals really evil? Did Indian rishis build an aeroplane? Why not teach our children to debate, question and dissent?

Written by Subhadra Sen Gupta | Updated: June 25, 2017 10:52 am
Once taught, hate and prejudice become a part of a child’s character. (Illustration: C R Sasikumar)

There is a 10-year-old boy in Pune who likes my books so much that he has asked me out on a date. There is also a 10-year-old girl in Canada who thinks I am evil because I praised Akbar.

It is the second child who is making me lose sleep. Two questions keep running through my head. How is a 10-year-old living in peaceful and tolerant Canada capable of such virulent dislike of Muslims? And who taught her to hate?

As a senior citizen who still writes for children, I make sure I listen to them first. My email is there in my books, and, when I meet them in schools, I do not lecture; I let them talk. They return the compliment by patiently treating me as a grey-haired idiot who can’t manage a smartphone. They spot my wobbly knees and gallantly carry my purse when I climb stairs. They run and get me glasses of water. Most children are civilised creatures, instinctively caring and gentle.

That is why this Canadian girl worries me so much. It began with a mail saying that on a visit to India, she bought my book on the history of India as, “I felt so proud of my ancient culture and rich history”. Then, she discovered to her shock that I had not mentioned the exploits of Peshwa Baji Rao I, “who gave a tough and brave fight against the atrocities of Mughal rulers and was successful”.

I pulled out the book and checked. There was a large section on the Marathas, but I had not specifically mentioned any Peshwa. I wrote back explaining that as I was packing 5,000 years of history in one book, I only mentioned people who had changed our history. Baji Rao defeated a weak Mughal army and it did not change anything. He was not Shivaji.

My antenna had gone up at the use of the word “atrocity” as it is not a word a 10-year-old will use easily. So, I asked her if she had a problem with Muslims, gently reminding her that the Mughals, especially Akbar, were, in fact, pretty tolerant people. There was Jodha Bai and Birbal, Todar Mal and Man Singh all hovering around him. Also, that kings, including Hindu Rajputs, fought with each other all the time because that was expected of them in that period.

I don’t think a word I wrote registered. Now the reply was very angry. Why don’t I write a “real history of India” because, “Mughal rulers who were never fair rulers and always caused destraction (sic), killed women and children and did not follow any ethics are called in your book an (sic) great emperors.”

By now, I was getting suspicious and asked her if the mails were being dictated by a parent. This has happened to me before and I am learning to spot it. For instance, the mails were very long and a child usually gives up after half a dozen sentences. Then the phrasing, dripping with contempt and aggression, seemed to be the voice of a bhakt who was part of the “demonise Akbar” brigade. She refused to answer and I gave up.

What is adding to my disquiet is that this is happening often. Children are asking me questions like these — Isn’t the Taj Mahal a Hindu temple? Didn’t the Indian rishis build an aeroplane? Aren’t the Aryans from India and didn’t they go off and conquer Persia and the Middle East? Didn’t Aurangzeb destroy lakhs of Hindu temples? Now, these unproven facts are not to be found in our textbooks. Clearly, it is something they are picking up at home.

So, there are parents who are filling their children’s minds with prejudice and hatred of the other — Muslims, Dalits, dark-skinned people, women, the people from the North East, the LGBT community, and, now, everyone who eats beef. Have you noticed how the list keeps growing? I would like to ask these parents — how are you different from the Islamic fundamentalists teaching children to kill?

Once taught, hate and prejudice become a part of a child’s character. Remember former BJP MP Tarun Vijay’s comment about woman from the south with dusky skin? The prejudice went so deep he could not stop himself even in front of a camera. Why do Romila Thapar and Wendy Doniger make some people explode in rage? Because Thapar can demolish their frail arguments with one imperious sentence and Doniger knows better Sanskrit than they do. Their work shows genuine scholarship, and, of course, they are both disobedient women.

I am still waiting for some good historical writing from the sanctimonious right that is not based on mythology. The problem is that well-researched, well-argued books take a lot of hard work. It is easier to demonise Akbar and Jawaharlal Nehru and co-opt Sardar Patel, BR Ambedkar and, most surprisingly, Bhagat Singh who, by the way, was an atheist and a passionate socialist.

The core problem is that genuine intellectuals cannot emerge from organisations that put an emphasis on superstition and obedience. If you do not learn to question, debate and disagree, then how can you research and come up with original ideas? When I am wandering around libraries, all I find in the stacks are books by the old gang of evil historians. So I am back with the enduring RC Majumdar and the wonderful AL Basham and Percival Spear; the challenging Irfan Habib and the delightful Shireen Moosvi, who, by the way, adores Akbar like I do.

I wish historians of the right would join the debate and write books critical of Akbar and Nehru. But then, their arguments will have to be supported by archaeological and documentary evidence and troublesome things like footnotes, bibliographies and an index. How about demolishing Jadunath Sarkar’s theories on Aurangzeb? That would be a book worth reading. But then, who wants to sit in dim libraries full of dusty tomes when it is so much easier to fulminate on Twitter and throw tantrums on television?

It’s not like politicians do not write on history. Nehru wrote the incomparable A Discovery of India in prison. Maulana Azad wrote about the freedom movement. Even today, Shashi Tharoor and Jairam Ramesh are writing books. But then, they were students who were encouraged to question and argue, not march around in khaki shorts, obediently chanting slogans.

Oddly, that angry Canadian girl made me remember a very strange rightist bhakt. In the 1970s, there was a gentleman named PN Oak, who was hell bent on proving that all Islamic monuments in India were, in fact, built by Hindu kings. My father met him somewhere, and, with typical Bengali love for the eccentric, must have listened patiently to his theories. I really don’t know why Oak thought my doctor father, who was an expert in malaria, could influence historians. But soon, we were being bombarded by postcards covered in tiny handwriting about his theories, which Baba would give to our gang of cousins for entertainment.

I wish I had kept those postcards, they were priceless.

Subhadra Sen Gupta writes on Indian history and culture.

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

Mahajir
    Jun 30, 2017 at 8:01 pm
    "I would like to ask these parents — how are you different from the Islamic fundamentalists teaching children to kill?" Do you realise you have quietly imbibed this thought and have asked this question? Justice Srikrishna in an interview referred to himself as a Hindu fundamentalist : a perfect fair gentleman who believes in the fundamentals of Hinduism. I am a Muslim. I practice law. I have innumerable friends who are Hindu Sikh Christian atheists etc. I have drafted a law to protect LGBT citizens' rights. I believe in the fundamentals of Islam. Let me say therefore, taking a hint from the jurist, that I am an Islamic Fundamentalist : are you suggesting people like me teach people (or children) to kill? I am surprised that educated people fall prey thus. Best wishes.
      Kapil Bajaj
      Jun 29, 2017 at 7:27 pm
      I'd never heard of Shubhadra Sen Gupta's name before I came across this article. So I am not familiar with her work. But this article reads as if she walks up to the reader, gives them a resounding slap in the face, and then tells them 'Don't you know me, you ignoramus! I am scholarly and diligent so you'd better respect me.' She makes a 10-year-old girl, of all people, the target of her self-conceit, b s her "angry", describes her as being brought up on hatred and prejudice, and then vents the remainder of her spleen on her parents whom she doesn't even know. This self-identified, library-loving savant b s the child's parents "bhakt", which bears out her own wallowing in the Twitter-made culture of name calling and mean-spiritedness. She even digs out a "bhakt" from the Emergency days of 1970s, another indication of long-held prejudices of her own. If her purpose was to say that one must not let negative emotions affect their quest for knowledge, she fails miserably.
        Padmasini
        Jun 26, 2017 at 6:22 pm
        First of all it is really sad that you pick on a child. Secondly, what is wrong if a child asks these questions. the pretentious left has distorted history at every age and stage that it leaves many of us who are looking for facts angry. Wold the author deny that the holocaust happened, that bombs were dropped onHhiroshima and Nagasake, that the world was colonised. Most India Left historians to my mind are apologists for Mughal rule, too afraid to face the facts. should we say that the temples committed suicide!! Nobody broke them. and finally if I had bought a book for a ten year old child that distorted history, I would be furious!
        1. N
          Nidhin George
          Jun 26, 2017 at 11:22 pm
          Nice to see a Bhakth here. Were you paid to comment here? Just curious.
            Kapil Bajaj
            Jun 29, 2017 at 7:32 pm
            So you are on this site too! You troll! How much have you made since morning? And did you get from your Masters a raise of Rs 100 per comment that you were asking for?
        2. T
          TWW
          Jun 25, 2017 at 9:02 pm
          Thank you, Dr. Gupta, for this thoughtful, cautionary reflection. The angry responses of the Rahuls, Abus, etc., full of vitriol but lacking any evidence or coherent argument, only prove your point more forcefully: it is easy to write uninformed opinion or indulge in fantasy, and much more difficult and laborious to produce scholarship and reasoned debate. What is at stake is not only historical knowledge, but epistemological integrity and the ability to judge competing truth claims (evidenced in the relegation of history to "exams" and the belief that social media is scholarship). You rightly point out that curiosity itself is at stake, especially among children. Finally, you make the important point that it is Indian scholars who have done the vast majority of this intellectual labor, and the products of that labor are not some "foreign" conspiracy. Thank you and kudos.
          1. B
            Bharat
            Jun 25, 2017 at 3:29 pm
            No one is vetting what is right. But it is clear that in old days people were having moral to speak truth. Nowadays every one is biased and represent his own story based on lies.
              Rahul
              Jun 25, 2017 at 3:04 pm
              Leftist oldie, your time is up. Decades and decades after independence, your ilk was patronized, and all other voices were mercilessly stamped out. Only your clones would be allowed into PhD programmes, and got to be the faculties who then like draculas, continued this vicious cycle of mind-poisoning in ins utes of higher learning. Hinduism was decried as a decadent, illogical, primitive cult to be hated and treated with disdain. People were brain-washed and bullied into such a level that they were ashamed of themselves, their culture, spirituality and history. Islamic rules was glorified, and talked of as the one that 'civilizes' India, their gory history of brute force, rapes, pillage and wanton cruelty were whitewashed. No more. No more of this charade. That, is the reason why, I do not feel as iota of loss at the passing of your 'glorious' tradition. And go ahead, call me a 'bhakt'. At least, my bhakti is not making me a doormat for any foreign masters.
                Abu Fitna
                Jun 25, 2017 at 5:45 pm
                Excellent retort to entrenched 'historitutes.'
                1. N
                  Nidhin George
                  Jun 26, 2017 at 11:23 pm
                  No you are no doormat. Likes of you and Savarkar only write apology letters to your foreign masters.
                    Kapil Bajaj
                    Jun 29, 2017 at 7:34 pm
                    Here you are again, walking away with Rs 200 more!!!
                  Abu Fitna
                  Jun 25, 2017 at 11:22 am
                  Indian historians were largely patronized by the secular leftist-congressi cabal that ruled the roost from 1947 upto 2014. You wrote doctored history to please your masters in exchange for perks and recognition. Today we can see through your game and I myself tell my kids to read history only to pass exams. The real history is in the social media and not of pamphleteers of the JNU, Jamia, ICHR, AMU.....
                  1. N
                    Nidhin George
                    Jun 26, 2017 at 11:24 pm
                    Hahahaha.."The real history is in the social media " Hahahaha..So if you eat an egg and a banana together you die!! "The real history is in the social media " Hahaha