As we kick-start Children’s Day celebrations in schools, among friends and in housing societies today in full gear, it is but of utmost importance to understand why the day is so much more than a mere occasion to get together and have fun. The day marks the birth anniversary of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru,the first prime minister of India. Born on November 14, 1889, he was fondly known as Chacha Nehru among little kids. The love and special care he harboured for children was so much that his birth date began to be commemorated as National Children’s Day or Bal Diwas in the country. While schools and educational institutions in the country celebrate the day by emphasising in various ways on the roles of the younger generation in shaping the future of the country, it is also made a point to reflect on the ideals of Chacha Nehru.
Here are ten deeply stirring and inspiring quotes by Pandit Nehru that shows his love for children, for the country and his points of view in general.
* “The ambition of the greatest men of our generation has been to wipe every tear from every eye. That may be beyond us, but so long as there are tears and suffering, so long our work will not be over.”
* “You can tell the condition of a nation by looking at the status of its women.”
* “Blood and tears are going to be our lot, whether we like them or not. Our blood and tears will flow; maybe the parched soil of India needs them so that the fine flower of freedom may grow again.”
* “Success often comes to those who dare to act. It seldom goes to the timid who are ever afraid of the consequences.”
* “There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.”