The West has their never-ending list of Halloween costume ideas inspired from films like Edward Scissorhands or Cruela de Vil, and let’s not get into the list of silly ideas like Starbucks’ Frappula Frappuccino (if you really wish to see just google it).
From Ireland and America to the UK and Australia, Halloween traditions – both modern and ancient – have spread to distant lands too like China and Japan (and this is costume paradise!). Though Halloween is not an Indian festival, over the years – thanks to globalisation – it has certainly found itself a new home amid the urban Indian community as well. Now, if we are celebrating it here, it’s only logical that we should put in some Indian masala into the celebrations as well.
Well, for first timers, think of Halloween as nothing but a fancy dress competition just make that as much quirky and freaky. The scarier the merrier! So we bring you some of your desi inspirations that you can dress up as and scare the ‘hell out’ (excuse the expression) from everyone around.
1. Indian zombies:
Yes, India saw its film zombie film in 2016. A Tamil film called the Miruthan became a major trend-setter in the unexplored genre of horror films in India. Miruthan was about a deadly virus that turned human beings into hungry zombies, signalling a possible apocalypse. Well, what better way to celebrate this superb Kollywood film other than Halloween. Keep aside CGI-created bhoots, and instead be a zombie this season.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
If the tiny insect can rule box office and dominate TRP charts and be regarded as a major game-changer, why not become a bee. Certainly they have created more than a buzz. Get you Makhi costume today and remember to get those scary red eyes!
Yes, our very own character inspired from ancient mythological text could be a perfect Halloween idea. As kids, many have enjoyed the tales of Vikram and Betaal that aired on DD National. Certainly our love for the character did not die after it went off air, so revisit your childhood days and get those long white locks and hot red lips, now!
From Sridevi to Mouni Roy, sexy snake ladies – if we dare to call them thus – have charmed us. From silver screen to small screen television, they have hissed and shown off their anger with beaming red eyes, so why not scare away becoming a nagin this Halloween. And for men we have a perfect compadre, Nagraj. India’s very own snake comic hero.
5. Yakoo and Badrinath/Somnath:
Remember the early 1990s hit TV show, Chandrakanta? If not, search for Yakoo and you’ll find scary looking men with broad moustache and eyebrows. And if you look for Badrinath, you’ll be surprised to find India’s man in Hollywood – Irrfan Khan. Yes, Khan in his early days played the role of twin brothers Somnath and Badrinath in the series and, oh my, out can’t miss the handiwork in his eyeshadow.
Aladdin is not just a Disney character talking in fluent English, remember our childhood says when we glued to see Alif Laila? Well, then you must remember our desi version of the green Genie. Without much sophisticated techniques and CGI, these characters certainly come with an oomph of nostalgia.
7. Captain Vyom:
Well, Milind Soman may be known as Ironman now, but the dashing model enthralled kids in the 1990s with his charismatic performance as Captain Vyom. The best part of this costume would be the eerie looking gun or pistol that was the highlight. You can also become Shaktimaan in an all-red jumpsuit! Or Super Commando Dhruv, tough choice is it? And if these heroes are not scary, try to be the villains of these shows – Venom, Paras, or Morpho.
Koi Mil Gaya ruled our hearts and the box office not just because of Hrithik Roshan but Bollywood’s favourite alien Jadoo also made quite an impression on kids. It’s pretty easy to role-play this character at night, there will be no Dhoop, and so you might just chilax and sip your drinks!
This overtly hairy character from 1979 film Jaani Dushaman is nothing but a perfect Halloween costume idea. If chimpanzee or orangutan is too cliché, this is what you ought to be.
10. And if you’re still unconvinced and want some more options, then try our star heroes like Ra.One, Krishh and our Thalaiva tribute to Rajinikanth as Robot. Women can be Manjulika.
Happy Halloween, folks!